Anti-Freeze making pool cloudy?

Johnny-M

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Altoona, Pa
Moved from here.

Can too much antifreeze returning into pool and no sun to burn it off cause your pool.to be cloudy even though the chemistry is spot on? I am planning to replace sand as well just in case it is a filter issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a full set of test results?
Anti freeze typically creates a high chlorine demand until consumed.
Sand never needs replacing as long as you do not use clarifiers or floc.

Since you are near a SLAM level FC, raise it up to 16 and do a full SLAM.

Add what kit you are using to your signature.

First step for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. Then pass the OCLT and CC levels.

With a sand filter it does take quite a while to clear the water during a SLAM. If you have not done so recently, a deep clean of the sand may be warranted.

You may want to try some Diatomaceous Earth in you skimmer. I use about 1/4 cup, dump it in the skimmer and it ends up in the sand filter. That stuff really helps grab lose fine debris fast. But be warned, it will catch so much debris, it will raise your pressure with in a couple of hrs. So keep an eye on it, back wash and repeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny-M

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Changed sand yesterday.
Kept FC around 20ppm
No loss during OCLT.
Will keep Slam levels until clear.
Bottom of the pool is clean, no algae, been brushing 2 ties a day doesn't seem to increase cloudiness.
Adding DE today, have to get some.
Just wondering if the antifreeze and lack of sun (no oxidization) for a week is causing the cloud.
It has rained everyday since I opened the pool.
Just thinking online.
I will keep fighting it but it is annoying.
Thanks for all your help and opinions.

Moved from here.

Can too much antifreeze returning into pool and no sun to burn it off cause your pool.to be cloudy even though the chemistry is spot on? I am planning to replace sand as well just in case it is a filter issue
Im not sure what too much antifreeze constitute to..I closed my pool for the first time without the PS and was so skeptical that I dumped almost 8 gallons of antifreeze. Only had a sigh of relief, after starting the pump this year and seeing no leaks.. :)

Ok I know I have been doing this method for 7 years and should just be patient. But it's been 2 weeks since opening the pool.
And it is still not crystal clear.
It has been improving but kinda stalled out.
Numbers are all good.
CL has been above 16 since last week. I increase to 20ppm when needed.
Ph is 7.5
CYA 35
TA 110.
Put new sand in filter and have been adding DE until pressure bumps up 1 psi.
Leave sit.
Then backwash as needed and repeat
There is a lot of pollen flying around.
But it just wont get the small cloud out of it.
Is there anything i am missing? Or should i just continue the course?
Sorry I get anxious when it takes longer than expected.

First, I again question your cya reading. How did you get 35?

Personally, I would keep chlorine above 25 and test every 3 hours. Imo that’s the only way to insure you are at or above shock level. Remember to test at dark of night and again before the sun comes up.

I get 35 because it is right between the 30 and the 40, in the test vial
Either way I am keeping it above shock level for 40 which is 16ppm.
I bring it up to 20ppm at night and it loses 0 cl overnight. I lose 2-3 ppm per day in the sun with no cover on it.
Maybe I will add more to get to 25. Wont hurt.
But I think it's a filtering issue with the sand filter not getting out all of the smaller dirt/dead algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.