Another Texan joining in

rednecked

Sep 27, 2019
Houston
Hi All,
We are just getting started on a quest for a pool. We have had two pool companies come out and "survey" the yard and had one of them give us their design ideas. We will meet with the other one on Monday. I'll try to post up some of the details this weekend on what we are looking at. I'm trying to learn everything I can in advance. from reading here it sounds like the UV/Ozone system abd broadhead water conditioner are both wastes of money? I was also looking into the infloor cleaning system but it seems overly expensive as well. We are on a pretty tight budget and don't want to spend a lot on things that aren't going to reduce our cost of ownership.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct. If your pool receives a decent amount of TX sunshine, the UV/Ozone is not required. In-floor systems are used by some, but can also be problematic at times. A good robot cleaner may sever you well. Have a nice weekend.

Hey Red,
Pools are great, but to enjoy them to the fullest, you need to make them as "maintenance free" as possible. I can give you some tips,
Ditch teh UV / Ozone and go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator. The SWG should be sized at least 1.5x however many gallons your pool will hold.

Ditch the In Floor system, they are expeensive, and if they start acting up, can be a real pain.
Go with a Robot Cleaner, here on TFP, the Maytronics Dolphin brand are popular and trusted. They are a good investment for sure.

IMO, a Variable Speed Pump is a great investment. They are energy efficient, but they have other features that add value beyond just the savings on the electric bill.
Noise - VSPs are super quiet. Non VSP pumps are loud, way louder than you might think.
Freeze Protection - VSPs *most" have built in freeze protection, other pumps do not, so thats another "add on" if you dont go with a VSP
Programmable schedules - next best thing to a expensive control panel

Here’s my $0.02 of advice:
1. Read as many pool builds threads as you can. There is a lot to learn from them and many are from the H-town metropolitan area.
2. Read the “Pool School” book thoroughly.
3. I think a saltwater generator, variable speed pump, and automation are must haves. They will make it easier to maintain your pool.
4. Ask as many questions as you’ve got. Someone here will be able to help you.
Good luck on your project!

We've had two PBs out to the house now. The first one we really liked. the design is nice and they seem to be very much service oriented. They offer a lifetime warranty almost almost everything that they install. The second PB seemed more detailed in the examination of the yard. Took elevation readings all over the yard to account for drainage, which the first did not do. There is about a 5-8" elevation change from the back of the yard towards the house to the designated runoff area before raising back up a couple of inches by the house. But the second guys design just didn't look as nice. Part of it was a "wall" around the back side of the pool to prevent runoff from going into the pool. Hard to explain but I don't have the printouts with me to upload and show. We are meeting with the first PB again on Friday and I will bring up the elevation question to them to see how they address it. Both companies seem to provide pretty much the same stuff as far as filters and variable speed pumps. We've wiped the fancy stuff off the list, no infloor system and no UV/ozone. Which reminds me about the other thing I didn't like about the second guy. He was pushing a magnetic water conditioner or something like that. a bit of reading here and there and that sounds like some real snake oil. He didn't push hard but, knowing we are on a tight budget I thought is was a bit of BS that he even brought it up.

I downloaded the Pool School ebook and am reading it now.
current ideas are
approx 350 Sq ft
freeform
small tanning ledge, big enough for a couple of chairs (it's not a big pool and these seem to take up a lot of space when you have the full loungers!)
a short sitting ledge on one side
possibly a waterfall if the budget still works
I want to look at the autofill as well

One area rarely mentioned in the cost-cutting posts is your pool deck. Fancy stone and tile work will cost more than a basic poured cement patio. You can dress cement up with stains and imprinted patterns and it can look quite fancy. Least expensive is just brushed or salt pitted type cement.

Maddie :flower:

I live here in Sugar Land and I have a Glacier Chiller. I love it. Keeps my water in the 82-84 range. Without it ,water temp will hit 92-95 easily. Who wants to swim in a bath tub??
I can tell you this, I’d rather cut my arm off than NOT have an SWG. Nothing like having to get up everyday and dump a gallon of bleach in your pool from April-November. Screw that. After you read pool school you will understand why the SWG is the best option for sanitation hands down for Texas. Do not let the pool builders talk u out of it. They hate to do it down here for some reason.
Also Automation is an absolute must in my opinion as well. Setting schedules, controlling all your equipment at the click of a button goes a long way believe me.

Obviously here in HOUSTON where we get heavy rains an overflow is very important. You would think this would be a no brainer but I’ve seen pools down here without one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live here in Sugar Land and I have a Glacier Chiller. I love it. Keeps my water in the 82-84 range. Without it ,water temp will hit 92-95 easily. Who wants to swim in a bath tub??
I can tell you this, I’d rather cut my arm off than NOT have an SWG. Nothing like having to get up everyday and dump a gallon of bleach in your pool from April-November. Screw that. After you read pool school you will understand why the SWG is the best option for sanitation hands down for Texas. Do not let the pool builders talk u out of it. They hate to do it down here for some reason.
Also Automation is an absolute must in my opinion as well. Setting schedules, controlling all your equipment at the click of a button goes a long way believe me.

Obviously here in HOUSTON where we get heavy rains an overflow is very important. You would think this would be a no brainer but I’ve seen pools down here without one.

thanks for the info! So many things to consider and line up!

For what it's worth, up here, we love it when our pools are 92-95, but our climate is a bit different. :D

Reactions: gonfishin
After a week or two of reading this forum and talking with PBs we probably have decided on one. We are meeting with them this afternoon with about 15 questions based on things we have learned. One of the things I still don't know much about though is the controllers/timers/automation stuff. Can someone give me some basics on what all they do, what is good, what is not needed? or direct me to where I can read more?

I also live in Houston and use time proven Cl sanitizer. Never have to add bleach daily. Inline chlorinators work well.

I also live in Houston and use time proven Cl sanitizer. Never have to add bleach daily. Inline chlorinators work well.

sure they worrrrrk, but do we want the side effects that come with routine puck use?? Not so much. People using liquid chlorine (bleach) do so for that very reason- they want to avoid their stabilizer level getting too high, etc.

Let me introduce you to a great start- Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.