Another summer another cya battle

May 22, 2016
Ohio
hi everyone
Another pool seasonand i am concerned about another battle with cya raising.
Currently cya is at 30. I have read lots of info but it has been cluttering the facts in my head.
For 12 years I had a 24' above ground pool and never had cya issues, 6 years ago I bought a house with inground pool and its been a struggle. Those dang 3" tabs with stabilizer.....
So am I correct in thinking the bleach is the best way to go to add chlorine with our rasing cya? With the virus it seems it is harder to get hold of multiple gallons needed per week.
I read about cal hypo tabs but already have water on the hard side and don't want to deal with tha calcium battle.
Is it possible to rotate tabs with success?
Few days with cal hypo a day of chlorine/sanitizer?
Over the past few years it seems the inground pool is much hard to balance then a above, or is it me.
Any ideas on winning the war here?

Also how come my pool specs don't show up at the bottom of my post like they use to?

You win the war by getting a SWG.

The progression of many pool owners is from tablets to lugging jugs of liquid chlorine to giving in and getting a SWG. Skip the step and get a SWG.

Maintaining a body of water is the same if it is above ground or inground.

What test kit do you have?

Your signature is showing “16x30 inground pool, sand filter, Hayward Super Pump, vinyl liner”

Reactions: gunslinger613
Hi thanks for the reply20200527_183642.jpg
Swg? Salt water?
When the liner was replaced 2 yrs ago we will told it is not advised to go salt walt route due to the metal sides behide the liner. We were willing to buy it but as I side he didn't recommend it.

Last edited:
That kit is ok, except it's missing the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test. That's the one where you add powder to your sample which turns it pink if it senses any chlorine. You then add drops until it goes from pink to completely clear. You count the drops and divide by 2 to get your very accurate FC reading. You really need this if you have to SLAM because the other chlorine test doesn't go very high. It won't work for a SLAM. You can buy just this portion separately. This is really all you need:

Reactions: gunslinger613
Around here there’s no bleach to be found but tons of liquid chlorine - which is the same chemical as bleach but more concentrated and with no potential additives. You should be able to find that at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowe’s, hardware stores / farm supply stores, etc. :) I saw a bunch of super-cheap 12.5% liquid chlorine at a large grocery store the other day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.