Another run-time question

Jnet

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
Seems like I'm seeing more people running their SWG at 100% for short periods of time. I thought the advantage of an SWG was the slow and steady infusion of sanitizer over extended periods providing stable levels. That's what permits the associated lower chlorine levels - reduced spikes and valleys in chlorine, right? How is 100% for a couple hours different than dumping lc in the pool? (Other than the absence of jug-lugging...)

Any insights from the crowd would be appreciated. I love being surrounded by really smart people here...

Keep in mind that some pool builders have already installed SWGs that are too small for the pools they are installed in per our recommendation to go at least double sized. So those folks may actually have to run them so.

Mine, on the other hand, is almost triple sized and I barely run it over 20% for 6-8 hours.

When I want or need *instant* increase in FC (such as a party or diaper failure) I still use liquid chlorine.

Maddie :flower:

Seems like I'm seeing more people running their SWG at 100% for short periods of time. I thought the advantage of an SWG was the slow and steady infusion of sanitizer over extended periods providing stable levels. That's what permits the associated lower chlorine levels - reduced spikes and valleys in chlorine, right? How is 100% for a couple hours different than dumping lc in the pool? (Other than the absence of jug-lugging...)

Any insights from the crowd would be appreciated. I love being surrounded by really smart people here...
For a lot of people, 3 hours at 100% is enough, so they can shut the whole pump off after three hours and save a bunch on electricity. I see what you're saying about the big blast versus a steady trickle being the same as jug-dumping. I never gave it any thought until today, since I'm a jug-dumper.

J,

I agree with what you are saying and that is just one of the reasons that I run 24/7 at the lowest SWCG setting I can..

I am sure there are a few who run at 100% for just 2 or 3 hours, but I doubt that is true in most cases... Unless you have a huge SWCG and a very small pool, it is pretty hard to generate the necessary chlorine in only a couple of hours. My guess is that most SWCG owners run for at least 8 hours a day..

Thanks for the post,

Jim R.

Previous owner had it set at 80. We've never changed it or turned it off when the pool is open. Should we try turning it down and running it less? Salt level has been staying at 3200. Also need to learn about scheduling times for the intelliflo.

If it's adequately chlorinating your pool, then there's not necessarily a good reason to change. There are many factors, not the least of which is the output of your SWG. I run mine at about 40% for most of the night, when my variable pricing electricity supply is usually between .02 and -.01 per kwh. I also run it for a several hours during the day at peak sunlight time. Works well for me... The electricity cost with my VS pump running at the lowest speed I can get away with is a non-issue.

Previous owner had it set at 80. We've never changed it or turned it off when the pool is open. Should we try turning it down and running it less? Salt level has been staying at 3200. Also need to learn about scheduling times for the intelliflo.

With a single speed pump, I would run as little as possible. But you will want to increase the SWG setting so you can reduce run time. Increasing the SWG to 100% will allow you to reduce run time by 20% which will save you 20% in pump energy costs.

With a single speed pump, I would run as little as possible. But you will want to increase the SWG setting so you can reduce run time. Increasing the SWG to 100% will allow you to reduce run time by 20% which will save you 20% in energy costs.
Thank you, I need to update my pool info. Pump has been replaced with a pentair intelliflo vsp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, then it probably wouldn't matter as much (assuming the RPM is pretty low).
I still need to figure out what schedule to run the pump. I have it running at level 4 preprogrammed level a few hours at night. Then I run it when needed during the day. Not sure what rpm I need for the floor popup jets.

So really no idea what I'm doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.