Another pump bonding question (above ground)

May 29, 2018
Tiverton, RI
Hi all - while digging around getting things ready to plumb together for our pool season I've realized that our pump is not bonded properly (inherited pool / equipment). I did a lot of poking around to learn what I need to do & came up with a tentative plan, but wanted to solicit some advice / input from those that have experience. Apologies for not using the proper terminology.

Our pool has coated metal supports & shell. I tested for continuity and the upright supports, top rail and top lip overhangs are "connected", but the shell is isolated from these components, but connected to the bottom metal skirt. I did find the seam (luckily right next to where the pump goes!) and there is continuity between the seam bolts & the shell (& bottom skirt).

Here's what I was planning (all attachments using lugs or proper bonding "t" connectors):

#8 bare copper wire from pump to seam bolt (bond to shell & bottom "skirt")
#8 bare copper wire from support bolt to pump-seam wire (bond to supports, top rail, etc)
Some sort of skimmer bonding device, with the copper wire attached to the pump-seam wire (bond to water)

To those familiar, does this seem like it would bring us within compliance (and, more importantly, ratchet up our safety factor)? I'm hoping I can avoid the need for a bonding "grid" around the pool, as given the deck and hill, that would be a TON of work.

I also have a metal outlet on-off box (rated for wet environments) close to the pool that runs the pump - should I include that in the bond as well? If so, any thoughts on how (attach bare copper from pump to switch ground, or outside screw, etc)? I do need to replace this with a twist lock outlet at some point, but that's for another day.

Thanks for any advice. Can't wait to get that cover off and start getting the pool ready!

First, a little bonding 101
Bonding should not be connected to the electric junction boxes or ground wires. Bonding is completely independent of the electrical system. The purpose of bonding is to prevent people touching water and anything they can reach outside of the water that could become electrified or become a ground. Things that can become electrified are ladders, railings lights, concrete pool decks and things like pumps or heaters that could electrify the water. So, all things that contact electricity or water should be connected to the bonding wire.

For your pool it sounds like the water bond, pump, ladder and pool frame should be bonded.

More here, Bonding vs Grounding - Trouble Free Pool

Bonding should not be connected to the electric junction boxes or ground wires. Bonding is completely independent of the electrical system. The purpose of bonding is to prevent people touching water and anything they can reach outside of the water that could become electrified or become a ground. Things that can become electrified are ladders, railings lights, concrete pool decks and things like pumps or heaters that could electrify the water. So, all things that contact electricity or water should be connected to the bonding wire.

For your pool it sounds like the water bond, pump, ladder and pool frame should be bonded.

Thanks - that makes sense re: electrical box. I did read the TFP overview (and a host of other sources), but just wanted to be sure I'm covering my bases here.

Regarding the ladder - we have a metal ladder that attaches to mounts on the deck. Since the ladder is bonded to the water (I presume) and the water is bonded to the pump, do I need an independent bond to the ladder?

Oh, and should I still use bare copper wire (since I'm not making a bond "grid")?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.