Another Pool Cleaner Question

DebBo

Gold Supporter
May 23, 2018
Ridgeland, SC
My in-ground pool does not have a main drain...well it does, but the last owner of the property had the liner installed over the main drain.
Clearing out algae has been my main issue, which I know would be easier with the use of the main drain.

The question is... what robotic cleaner would be very good at filtering out algae? I've seen lots of good reviews on the Dophin S2000 series. Do all of them filter out algae?

Hi DebBo!

No worries not having a main drain. They are not needed for cleaning up a green pool or for regular operation.

Your concern is focused on the wrong issue. If you have algae, you need focus on chemically and mechanically cleaning your pool water by performing the SLAM Process. Please read through these instructions a time or two and let us know what your questions are. It is a tried and true method to clean up your pool water without getting taken the cleaners by a pool store.

Then when you have clean water, focus on maintenance. But yes, the Dolphin S200 is a good robot. I have a twin of it, the Active 20. Love it. But focus on the SLAM to the exclusion of all else pool related for now.

Deb,

The problem is that you have algae to begin with... No cleaner will get rid of algae.. as the algae will produce faster than a cleaner can pick it up.

The first thing you need to do is kill all the algae in your pool and then almost any cleaner will remove the dead algae.

Chemicals are what gets rid of algae and not which filter or cleaner you have.

I suggest you check out this link... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And this one... SLAM Process

We would love to get you pointed in the right direction, just let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

And also of prime importance, you will need a Test Kits Compared

See the link in my signature for the TF-100 with Speedstir. Purchase the XL version.

Thanks all. Good points. I have done the SLAM and have gotten rid of the algae, but it keeps coming back. And I now that you point it out, I have gotten the pool clear without the main drain... so I suppose the problem is that I haven't done the SLAM as well as I thought.
I do have the TF-100 testing kit.
Right now I am in a water loss problem... it's on another thread...so no slamming right now. I'm losing an inch a day and it looks like I'm goint to have to call someone. I've covered the skimmer, plugged the returns, and still losing water.
Oh the joys...

Deb,

The problem is that you have algae to begin with... No cleaner will get rid of algae.. as the algae will produce faster than a cleaner can pick it up.

The first thing you need to do is kill all the algae in your pool and then almost any cleaner will remove the dead algae.

Chemicals are what gets rid of algae and not which filter or cleaner you have.

I suggest you check out this link... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And this one... SLAM Process

We would love to get you pointed in the right direction, just let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Filled my pool ( leak detection company coming in a few days), SLAMMED the pool and after two days, the overnight check had < 1 drop in the FC. Water is crystal clear.
Thanks for reminding me of the correct process.
Here's hoping my leak is an easy fix. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.