Another one in Las Vegas-Finaled, but not finished

Re: Another underway in Las Vegas

Exactly. Smaller pebbles.

Stoned, plastered, acid (washed) all within a week?????? Oh the things you do for a pool! :shock:

Oh and where are my pictures???

Kim:kim:

Pictures? You want pictures? OK, we can finally do that..They stopped pretty late, and the light wasn't good, so I had to wait until this morning, which got me some shade and sun in the same pictures. They will be back Monday to finish the rest of the beam, around the spa, and those little intricate cuts on the popped up columns and other elevation changes. So, these are just a few.

I missed the first one being applied, but here is as early as I could get:

Here's a portion of the beam, with some shadow:

Where they stopped:

And another angle to show light and shadow effect on the colors:

What the pictures don't show very well is the little bits of "shiny" from the quartz when the sun hits it. Nice little points of bling. We hope they will go well with the double shot of shells that we asked to be included. (just one of many things we only even knew to ask for because of those who post on this forum!!) Hopefully, we'll find out in the next few days how that works out..;)

I wondered if there was any bling in them when I looked at the second picture. I love all of the colors and textures! SO pretty!

They have done a LOT of work but it was "easy" work when compared to what is coming up. I am sure they will do a great job there as well.

SO close!

Looking very good beach! And I noticed you mentioned southwest.... I'm in mountains edge so it looks like I have my sudo general contractor if your close..... you can keep an eye on things when business makes me travel ��

Looking very good beach! And I noticed you mentioned southwest.... I'm in mountains edge so it looks like I have my sudo general contractor if your close..... you can keep an eye on things when business makes me travel ��

Yep, I'm just across the 4 lane from you...;) You're more than welcome to come see it for yourself. And I'll be happy to help you if you need it.

Love the water color. It looks very similar to the color we chose as well. In the middle as far as darkness and vibrant hue. Also love all of the stone. I am a tad obsessed with stone (want to put it on the front of the house lol and already have our fireplace, had a wall on the patio until the pool build, its on the spa, columns, and fire pit we are doing too). Can't wait to see it all finished!

Well, we are fully "stoned" now! And what's supposed to happen when you're "stoned"? Why psychedelic colors of course..And here's what the sun looked like this morning:

Oh wait, that's not the sun! Sometimes the local balloon rides go right over our house...and today was one of those days. The wife thinks they just wanted to look at our cool pool project...:)

And to go along with the wild colors, we added some loud noise, as the county inspector wanted to see all of our door alarms work, and for me to show him that I knew how to operate the noisy things. Making noise is one thing I'm pretty good at, so we got signed off, and now we are at the mercy of the plaster subcontractor. Will the maid kiss the butler? Will our pool get plastered? Stay tuned....But first...some boring pictures of a bunch of rocks:

Spa steps:

Side of spa:

Towards the shallow end:

Looking at the deep end:

The fire feature:

Looking at the spa from inside the pool:

OK...are you still awake? Ready to for the plot of "how the plaster sticks?" As long as the creek don't rise, we'll be turning smurfy on Wednesday! Then we hit the acid on Thursday, and hopefully by Friday night, our hole will finally be filled with water! To say it's exciting is an understatement. We can't wait to see what the water looks like. Then there's the landscaping, and I get to put my stamp on things, as I build our outdoor kitchen, so there's still a long way to go. But one thing at a time, right/

Love the stone! I can also tell exactly where your at by the shot of the ballon lol. The wife and I looked at the Durango ranch homes 2 years back and didn't pull the trigger and I still drive them and regret it today [emoji51]
But it all worked out in the end .

I will be PM you in the next few days so I can come check out that pretty water your going to get :)

Pool looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:party: Love it! LOL on the :sun: They did a great job on the stone!

Oh that is TOMORROW!!!!! Make sure you meet the truck and check the plaster color and any extras you asked for.

Until then you can go ahead and fill out your signature with all of your pool info. You are THAT close!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you all for taking a look at our project, and putting up with my attempts at humor..LOL

Will, we looked all over the southwest U.S. for three years in deciding where to move. And funny thing is these homes were the first ones we looked at! We even had a deposit on a home in the centennial area for over a year, and when it was still a dirt lot, bailed, and bought this one before they were all gone. Some negatives, but we love the house itself.

OK Kim, how's the siggy thing? Anything I need to add/change?

LOL on that being the first ones you looked at......life is funny like that!

I LOVE your style and really hope you stick around after your pool is done. You have great insight and could be very helpful to other newbies!

For your siggy I would bold or do a brighter color to make your build stand out as a clickable link. You should also add your test kit! Everything else is spot on!

:hug:

We got SMURFED!! Or is that plastered? Well, it felt that way for sure! This was the last "big" step, and naturally I took a lot of pictures, especially because of the interesting process. It was tough to trim them down, so, if you're still reading, there's a few more than normal. But hopefully they tell the story of "blue" at our house yesterday!

OK, in the interest of space, let's just get on with the pictures. Right after sunrise, we saw this peeking over the top of our wall!):

No, not the balloon again, it was the magic blue goo mixing machine. This is where it all starts. One guy mixes in the plaster, rocks, and bling, then when it's ready, dumps it in the pump right under the mixer on the back of the truck. Then it's pumped to the guys in the pool. Nice integrated system:

Like all of the steps before, preparation is a key. Everything is masked off, tools arranged, etc. and one last shot of the big ol' gray battleship hole in the back yard:

This tool is placed in strategic locations all over the pool. It's a water sprayer, and is used to wet the surface prior to the plaster application, as well as to wash the cream away to expose the aggregate and bling in the mix. It looked interesting, I am a tool-aholic, so I took a picture of it:

As the last minute preparations are being completed, the guy on the mixer starts making the magic blue goo:

Wet down the surface with that water wandy thing:

And there it is...the first bit of smurfing being applied!! The moment we've been waiting for is finally here!:

The plaster is then built up, took about three coats in the spa, and looks about like this when they are finished blowing it in:

Here it is being applied to the pool. Once applied, the long, backbreaking process of troweling begins. You can see that in the lower left side:

Just a little bit of grey left to go:

The very last bit of blue being applied:

As the trowel work continues, the aggregate mix is "packed" down, and the cream is pulled off. Here you can see the seat marker starting to pop back out.:

More troweling, and drying, and apply some carefully placed rinsing with that water wand, and the bright blue washes away to expose the aggregate. It's amazing how many times the color changes throughout the process, the sun, and my terrible picture taking ability!:

Same spa seat from earlier, further along in the process:

Right as they were leaving, in afternoon sun:

Same time, spa shot:

Right before sunset, the color seemed to darken a bit as it dries out:

Same time, spa shot, part 2:

And there you have it. Today is supposed to be an acid trip, then we fill!! And the fun really begins. We feel REALLY fortunate to have taken this from bare dirt to this stage in just 64 days (dig was Jan 3), especially after our previous experience, and reading some of the horror stories of others here on the forum. I'm a "detail" person, and have had plenty of "stress" along our short journey (most of it self-induced!!) and our PB and his subs have been outstanding. I really can't give him a high enough recommendation if someone locally is reading this, and is looking to build their dream pool.

Re: Another underway in Las Vegas-Plastered!

Congrats ! I know it's an exciting day because I'm excited for you. Your job has turned out to be beautiful and it's almost over and time to swim. Thank you for posting all the pictures and responding to all the questions as it has been very helpful to my wife and I.
I sent you a PM also

If it looks that good BEFORE acid just think how AWESOME it will look after!

I see a hose with a water bottle and end wrap on ready to go! GOOD JOB!

LOL on the "peeking" over the fence with the balloon in the back ground! Good shot!

Now remember the water might look at little green for a little while. This IS normal and the color will balance out as the water gets balanced and your brush.

So exciting! I can't wait for the fill-up action shots! :)

TwinMama, thank you for watching my build! I think the fill is the worst part of all...waiting, low water pressure, slow, slow, slow! But, here's where we are at so far.

A team of two showed up for acid wash this morning about 7 am. After reading some of the threads, this could go anywhere from dumping some acid around the perimeter to using sprayers to wash the acid down the sides, so I had no real idea what to expect. Boy, was I impressed! First, they brushed everything from the tiles down to the bottom. Then, they took a trowel, and troweled the whole pool, knocking off loose pebble and plaster that the brush didn't get. Then, they created a small pool of water, and acid in the bottom, and ran it through a pressure washer, and washed around the whole pool a couple times. The acid/water/yuck mix was then vacuumed up, they put in the various covers and eyeballs, swept and rinsed the deck, and started the water. I think I got the "deluxe" wash for sure! But it is pretty, and blue. Did I say blue? LOL.

So, about 10:45, we started with one hose in the spa, one in the pool:

Pool starting to fill:

hose set up:

spa starting to fill:

About 2:30, the spa was filled up, and I took a couple shots from different angles. If you zoom in, you can see some bling bling!

After the spa filled, I moved the second hose into the pool, and began the long long wait. Here's where it was at about 4:30:

I'm hoping it'll make it to the top tomorrow afternoon, otherwise, I'm expecting a sleepless night on Friday, as I'll worry about it overflowing..LOL

I also got to meet Big Will, as he stopped by to see our little project. Awesome guy, and it was fun to yack about pools without the keyboard..;) His pool is going to be awesome too!

Re: Another underway in Las Vegas-Fill 'er up!

Beach, I am so happy for you that your marker tiles came out so nice with the grey grout and pebble sheen finish. It looks great already!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.