Another noob looking for some guidance

May 30, 2016
Reeseville
I have a 12 x 24 vinyl pool that I just recently (Sat/Sun) filled with my garden hose hear in WI. While filling, the water was pretty dark, brownish maybe, and began to have dark sediment settle on the bottom. I have a sand filter along with an SWG. Been running the pump and have the SWG on boost since Sunday. Latest test readings are:
FC: 11.6
CC: .4
TA: 240
CH: 100
CYA: Ran out of reagent. Have not added any CYA to water though.

I have been brushing the pool few times a day and today ran my rover in it also. Not clearing up at all though. Looking for some advise from the pros on here. TIA!!

Use liquid chlorine to get things started. Do not use your SWCG. It is for maintenance.

Once you determine what the brown water is and how to handle it, raise your CYA to 70 ppm. Then use the SWCG.

Thanks mknauss....forgot my PH reading in there. PH is 8.0+ I would imagine that my fill water contains some amount of iron. Shouldnt be much being that it is village water and not well though, correct?? I'll start by adding the CYA and picking up some bleach I guess

High pH brings out iron. Lower your pH to 7.4. Each time it rises to 7.8, lower it to 7.4. The pH will rise quickly as your TA is high. Continuing to lower pH will lower your TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.