Jun 23, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

Last year, my pool builder installed the Intellicenter and Intelliflo pump. The pump was wired up to the load side (not line side) of the first relay. I configured my schedules for cleaning to set the RPM as well as turn on the pool. Things worked, although it was a bit annoying when turning off the "Pool" to stop the pump to backwash and the long delay when it turned back on.

I noticed this year after enabling the schedules again and opening the pool, the pump runs for several minutes and then the Intellicenter shuts of the "Pool" toggle. During browsing some threads, I came across the fact that the Intelliflow should be always on. I changed the wiring so that Intelliflo always has power from breaker (wired to line side of relay).

From my understanding, the relay should not close unless "Pool" is turned on AND the pump is running. However, that doesn't seem to be the case for me. For testing, I have deleted all of my schedules and ensured all of my features are off. As soon as I turn on the "Pool", the relay closes and SWG powers up. The pump is not running.

Couple of questions:
  1. Should the "Pool" toggle generally be left on 24/7 when the pool is open and in normal operation? Cleaning schedules just set the pump speed but don't toggle the "Pool" feature?
    1. Or are people generally toggling "Pool" with schedules
  2. The first filter/pump relay should not close if the pump is not running?
  3. Does the call for fireman's switch to the heater operate the same way... only closes if pool is on _and_ pump is running?
  4. The pump should run if a feature is enabled setting a speed even if Pool toggle is off?
Intellicenter is running latest firmware: 2.006

Attachments

• home.png
    home.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 5
  • pump.png
    pump.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Perhaps I'm missing a "Pump" cicruit. I'm seeing that referenced in other threads. Or is turning off all pump feature circuits (the various speeds) the same as turning the pump off? Currently the pump does stop when I turn off all the circuits, but is there some main pump on/off somewhere?

Edit: The "Pool" feature was missing from the pump. I added that but it seems to be tied directly to the "Pool" switch. I'm guessing I should still be toggling the "Pool" switch when schedules.

Last edited:
Sam,

You are confusing two different things...

The Pump/Filter relay will only close if you are in the Pool or Spa mode and the pump is being told to run.

When the Automation system is in AUTO and the pump sees a speed to run via the com cable, the pump will run. The pump has a set up page the assigns one speed for each circuit where you want the pump to run.

Here is my speed page...

Notice I have assigned a speed to my Pool Circuit and my Spa Circuit. I also have a speed assigned to my Skim Low Circuit.

If I turn on the Pool Circuit, the Pump/Filter will close and power my SWCG and the pump will run at about 1200 RPM.
If I leave my Pool Circuit on and at the same time, turn on my Skim low Circuit, the pump will speed up to 1500 RPM.
If I then turn off my Pool Circuit, the Pump/Filter Relay will shut off (shutting off the SWCG) but the pump will continue to run at 1500 RPM.

Two different things.

The simplest thing to do is schedule your Pool Circuit for the total amount of time you want to be making chlorine each day. Then you also turn on any other circuits during that time to change speeds.

Let me know if that make sense.. If not I'll try again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sam,

As a side note, I run my pump 24/7 as that is what works best for me. To run the pump 24/7, I schedule my Pool Circuit from 8 am until 8 am.. Since the Pool Circuit is always on, then the pump will run the Pool Speed 24/7, unless other Circuits tell the pump to increase its speed. If the pump sees two or more speed requests, it will always run the faster one. To decrease speed, you have to turn off the faster Circuit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The Pump/Filter relay will only close if you are in the Pool or Spa mode and the pump is being told to run.
That wording is what was confusing me, it should not say "AND the pump is being told to run". In reality, the Pump/Filter relay will close if you are in Pool or Spa mode - regardless if the pump is running or not.

For example, my pump was missing the Pool circuit, so no speed was set for Pool. Turning on Pool closed the relay even though the pump is not running (see screen shots in initial post).

So I think my programming was correct before, I should be scheduling Pool. My pool builder just wired the Intelliflo wrong (to the load side).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.