Another in Texas - Cypress

Yes, it is an heirloom chewing / syrup variety, ribbon cane was still a popular variety grown in south Louisiana until modern hybrid canes became popular in the 1960's, although from what I have read the popularity for commercial production of this specific variety really started dropping off in the early 1900's in favor of canes like Louisiana Green and Purple ribbon due to its relatively small size and weak canes which can snap in strong wind if not planted in a location with a good wind break.

Ike

p.s. I suspect you will find all local citrus sources will have stocks of trees that have been treated since Harris county is in the Texas HLB / Citrus greening quarantine zone Deadly Citrus Tree Disease - Texas Citrus Greening It is legal to bring citrus into the quarantine zone, it is just illegal to carry it out or between different counties in the quarantine, however the whole state of Texas is under quarantine for ACP and it is illegal to import citrus into the state. The same goes for Louisiana, where the whole state here is also under ACP quarantine, so even though both Texas and Louisiana are under ACP quarantine it is illegal for me to buy citrus from a grower 20 miles away in Texas and bring it home.

I am not sure, I do know that under the quarantine that citrus nurseries are required to take certain steps to prevent the spread of ACP and HLB which can include things like spraying programs which include neonicotinoids as a suggested means as well as growing young citrus plants under special netting or indoors to prevent ACP from getting to the plants. I have not looked at the HLB quarantine rules that closes though since I don't live in an HLB quarantine area.

I do know of a citrus nursery that will sell directly to the public in Vidor TX (near Beaumont) Creekwood Farms: Texas Blueberry Farm and Nursery You might try sending them an email or just calling and asking specifics.

Ike

I am not sure, I do know that under the quarantine that citrus nurseries are required to take certain steps to prevent the spread of ACP and HLB which can include things like spraying programs which include neonicotinoids as a suggested means as well as growing young citrus plants under special netting or indoors to prevent ACP from getting to the plants. I have not looked at the HLB quarantine rules that closes though since I don't live in an HLB quarantine area.

I do know of a citrus nursery that will sell directly to the public in Vidor TX (near Beaumont) Creekwood Farms: Texas Blueberry Farm and Nursery You might try sending them an email or just calling and asking specifics.

Ike

I will do that! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a list of trees for sale on that same page, not sure how many varieties will be in Dec. For the north side of Houston I would stick with one of the Satsumas though, anything else would likely need more active freeze protection.

At the moment their page lists :

SATSUMAS (they are almost seedless):
Brown Select 3 gal $35
Owari 3 gal $35
Kimbrough 3 gal $39 only 3 left
Miho 3 gal $35

I don't know if they have other varieties that are out of stock at the moment or not.

All 4 could be good choices for your location

Owari is probably the most popular old favorite variety

Brown Select is a fairly recent release (in the last 5-10 years) named after the former head of the LSU citrus program not the color

Kimbrough was an attempt at a more cold hardy Satsuma from several years ago

and Miho is a very recent Texas A&M related release that has a LOT of good press, too early to say much about it though

I think all are late season, not sure about the Miho though
Ike

p.s. correction, Miho is a little older than I thought, released in 2001, tends to have larger fruit than Owari, as well as tending to grow faster and as a shorter bushier tree, and more cold hardy (survival of moderately young Miho down do 14 degrees F with minimal leaf loss reported by TAMU, 15-17 degrees F is the usual number reported for mature Owari, and anything under 23 F is touch and go for young Owari) Some testing indicates Miho to have some superior traits in flavor, solids content, etc. vs Owari, but Owari has longer shelf life once picked and longer hold time on tree.

Kimbrough was mostly a failure on being more cold hardy, but does average larger fruit size and better holding on the tree than Owari, may ripen a couple of weeks before Owari, just after Miho

Brown Select is a mid season variety, ripens in October, but holds on tree much better than Owari, but not as cold hardy, and maybe a bit less tasty

Many people consider Brown Select to be a good compromise between early ripening and good flavor as other earlier varieties have a poor flavor reputation, although recent improvements may have been made with St Ann's and Louisiana Early which ripen in late Sept. Ask me again next month, my St Ann's that I planted last year has 1 fruit on it this year and my Louisiana early has none. By comparison my 3 mature Owari's each have hundreds of pounds. (a mature Owari can produce over 300 pounds of fruit per year in a good year, but don't expect anything like that for the first few years)

Owari is hard to beat and out of the older varieties has the best cold tolerance and often best tastes.

p.s. the Satsumas I would suggest staying away from are Armstrong Early, Orange Frost and Arctic Frost. Arctic Frost might be great is you want to grow citrus in north Texas or Oklahoma, and Orange Frost may be great for the hill country, but they give up a lot of taste for better cold tolerance. I have heard the term tastes like cardboard used for Armstrong Early (an older early season variety)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TM- I just went back through all your water pictures (AND made my hubby look, too!), and gosh, I just LOVE your water color!!! It's just GORGEOUS!!!!
. That's how I feel looking at yours!!!

That IS blue! Love the sparkle!

How does the seadragon ride? I am sure the boys have given it quite a workout!

:kim:

Beautiful!! And I love the floatie!! :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes that floaty is the perfect contrast to all that blue

Thanks everybody!!

On rainy or cloudy days it is still a bit dark for my tastes but totally worth what it looks like in the sun. Very happy with our choice!

My Mom showed up with two of those seahorses as a surprise for my boys. They sure look pretty but functionally you can't stay on them at all. We tried every shape, size, and age over here. It was great fun though so we decided to keep at least one of them for challenges. Forget 8 seconds! Not even the kids have managed 5 except for Jaiden who will keep himself latched on and wrapped around it even though he immediately flips over and under it. [emoji23]

I think it's because of the feet that keep it sitting so high on the water. It has zero stability once you try to put someone on it. We love the way it looks though so we'll just call it decoration.

Have you tried letting some of the air out? That just might do it. But it has to be fun to watch them try!

:kim:

We did, lol but that didn't work either. With less air you couldn't even get on it. It's a poor design with the feet lifting it out of the water so you can't sink into it for balance. It's also very skinny. We even tried it on it's side. That was slightly easier than when it's upright but then the weight of the float wasn't balanced because it wasn't symmetrical and it would flip on the side of the head.

So our landscaper sent us some design drawings he was proposing. This is not to scale. The colored steps are the international stepping stones we have that were made by our exchange students. I pulled it into Photoshop and tweaked it to work a little better for our use in the yard. This was a list I sent him recently of plants from our list and his that we're considering. And then the latest email from him. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.