Another "how to quiet my pump down" questions. Beyond RPM, etc.

Apr 7, 2012
Ok! So my neighbor and I are trying to make our yards less "jet engine" like. LOL.

I've read some of the threads here... but I'm still confused as to best of course of action. I already keep my VSP down. (It has a 3000RPM max, I run it at 2400RPM for 2 hours to let the vacuum work, then I drop it down to 1000 for the stenner, etc.) It's VERY quiet during the 1000 but a little loud during the 2400RPM. My neighbors is very loud but he's being cool about turning down the RPM, etc.

So... my next questions. Do these:
1672669992277.png

Do anything for noise?

Is there a better choice?

Thanks!

It seems not many folks around right now. Maybe ask again in the springtime.

In the meantime here are some prior threads on the topic...

Last edited:
I had one of those once. Does very very little for noise. It’s meant to keep rain off the pump. And the standard pump ones don’t fit over the IntelliFlo VSPs. Don’t waste your money.

If your neighbors pump is loud and old, then the bearings could be going bad. Loud, low frequencies (rough grumbling sounds) is usually bad bearings. If both pumps are relatively new, then it’s simply a matter of location. If the pumps are near a walled area where the walls are closely spaced, then the echo from the walls will allow the noise to travel far and wide. My pump is open on 3 sides with nothing to reflect off of so the noise from it dissipates fast even though it’s relatively close to the pool.

I would be very careful with any kind of noise dampening enclosures. They can be constructed from simple materials BUT the pump absolutely needs air flow for cooling and so if that is not properly done, you’ll fry the pump. Natural hedging and vegetation around the equipment area is your best bet at noise abatement while allowing for good air flow.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Sadly as much as vegetation looks like it will do the trick it doesn't. However a sound wall could be hidden by vegetation but may deflect the sound onto another neighbour.

I'm with JN about the pump motor needs to breath, it pulls air from the fan at the back of the motor to propel it forward over itself. So as long as the cover is a tunnel I don't think the pump would overheat. A cover would need to have something added to it to absorb the sound rather than deflect it. Something like multiple layers of egg cartons perhaps, or egg carton shaped foam, or old school sound/heat deadening underlay like in a 1960s old car.

Be mindful generally sound deadening is different to heat deadener. You just need the cover to allow air flow

Pay attention to the mountings as well. Granted, my pool is an above ground, but my pump and filter get bolted to a concrete slab each season. If I just bolt it down tight, it can by noisy. I have a bunch of plastic wedges (the kind used to shim out doors and windows) and if I play around with them a bit to get things just right, it really does reduce the noise by a good bit. Not sure if this will work for you, but having all shafts and bearings in alignment helps both with noise and longevity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.