Another filthy swamp story

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Opened the pool yesterday. I can not recall it ever being so stinky before. It is not unusual to have lots of worms, etc. on the bottom that I sweep up before putting the DE grids in, but this time something seemed very different. What was coming up was something I don't recall seeing before - can't help but wonder if at some point a few animals got in there and decomposed over the winter. Opening the pool so far has been kind of like reading Stephen King.

Strangely, though, I had the pool partially uncovered every few months during the late fall and winter to check the water chemistry, and didn't notice any odor. Actually, the water looked pretty good also nearly every time. Now, though, having started filtering today, I've already gone through 3 charges of DE in the space of like 4 hours. Typically, each load of DE results in increasingly longer filter cycles, but so far that is not the case. Right above the return lines, there is a brown swirling area that is quite unsightly - not sure if this is the result of adding algicide or if I'm still seeing the results of whatever decayed during the off season. I've gone through at least 20 lbs of DE already and, if this continues, will exhaust my only 25 lb. bag....told my pool store that I want at least 50 lbs. more. Looks like this could be a L O N G season. A retirement community that has a pool I could swim in but not have to maintain is looking better and better!

Any thoughts on how I might better clean up my version of the dismal swamp?? :(

I've read many frustrated threads written by Baqua users. I am always so relieved when they finally decide to abandon the expensive Baqua that has let them down, do the conversion to chlorine, and then thank us for the cheaper, easier, crystal clear TFP chlorine approach to pool ownership. It's your pool, do what you want, but if you decide that TFP's massive forum of evidence is probably the best system currently in existence, we're here to encourage and guide you all the way.

Has your Baqua pool been affordable, trouble free, predictable, and easy to keep crystal clear? If so, great! Contact their support and ask for help. If you like their answer, go for it and let us know how that works.

I looked on their website and couldn't find the page where they say how to sanitize a swamp using Baqua products, or how long it would take, or how much. If you find it or they email it to you, please share the link or upload it. I'd be very curious what they say.

I have nothing against the company - except that my observations are that it makes products and a system that ultimately disappoints most customers while costing way more than accurate testing and chlorine alone for sanitation.

Do you have any questions about or reasons why the TFP approach to pool care isn't a great option for you?

Hello Anthony,

Have you picked up the Taylor K-1725 as Leebo recommended?

Without proper testing, you are destined to repeat the tribulations of the past......

Baquacil Side Discussion - Page 2

Drop Test Combo, Biguanide, 1 drop = 5 ppm/Hydrogen Peroxide, 1 drop = 5 ppm

Hi domct,

I did buy that kit and will use start using it to check the biguanide and peroxide levels. Pool is starting to clear. Filter pressure (so far today) holding at the starting pressure following last night's 3rd charge of DE.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Battle...especially for taking the time to do a bit of checking into how to deal with a Baqua "swamp".

No questions at this time. I think I've pretty well been through it all over the past few years. Your points are very well taken, but as of now I'm still planning to hang in there with the Baqua. I'm encouraged by the results I had last year with the use of Ahhsome. Worse than contending with any mold/slime issues I had was having springtails in the pool for a good part of the season. Those things really play havoc with filter pressure, which obviously didn't help with any other problems I experienced.

The time may indeed come where I go back to chlorine. Were I to have had a good experience with it initially (did use chlorine for probably the first 5 years or so), I probably would never have even tried biguanide. But, both I and a friend of mine had similar bad experiences with chlorine and then both switched to biguanide (initially sold as "Softswim") around the same time. He's done better than I have due to using sand filtration, which appears to be a better system for using biguanide than DE.

I respect you for considering your situation, hearing out a credible alternative, and then making a choice to move forward with clearing the swamp rather than let it get worse and lose more ground.

I wish you great success with your Baqua swamp clearing and maintenance. If you are comfortable with the idea, I think it would help a lot of other Baqua users deciding either to stay Baqua or convert if you would keep a running total in this thread of the timeline of actions, expenses incurred, and observations as you clear the swamp and keep it crystal clear. I understand if this level of transparency isn't for you, and thank you for considering it. It might be helpful to have a thread we could send frustrated Baqua users to showing how much money and time it really does take to pull it off, if possible, so they too can have a pool that is crystal clear, springtail, backswimmer, haze, and algae free all summer long without fail - assuming this is actually possible while following the Baqua safety guidelines. Too often, the Baqua users are embarrassed at how much they spent and unwilling to disclose it, even though it is their pool and it is their right to spend as much as they want on it, even if it isn't even clear or safe. Still their pool, their money, and their choice - and even if I don't see the wisdom in it, that doesn't mean I'm not curious to know how much they are actually willing to spend to still not have a trouble free pool.

P.S. - sorry you and your friend had bad experiences with chlorine - was that using a version of the pool store wheel of misery? Following TFP using an approved test kit is nothing like that at all when followed completely and can equally as effective with sand, cart, and DE filters, just with different timelines and filter cleaning schedules. All TFP pools are capable of achieving a 0.5-4 ppm FC daily base burn rate to stay crystal clear.
dbtgallery.php

Thanks for your additional thoughts, understanding, and encouragement! The 'swamp' has turned blue! No change in DE today....yet. Up 6 lbs from starting pressure...so aLOT better than yesterday. I used the Taylor Biguanide / Peroxide kit for the first time. I absolutely love this already and wish I had bought it a few years ago already. Now I can tell exactly what the levels are and how much to add to bring both to proper level. Despite the 1.5 gallon initial dose of peroxide, it needed another gallon to get within the recommended range. Regarding costs, I don't really think about this that much. It's a given that I'm spending way more than anyone using TFP methods. I really don't keep track of totals from beginning to end of season, but a rough ball park figure for my initial spring order (based on what I assume I'll need for the season - sometimes I have alot left over at the end, sometimes I need to buy more) is probably around $400. This year was higher since I ordered extra sanitizer and peroxide - thinking that, as I said, following the results of the test kit will most likely have me using more than I was previously. IF maintaining more accurate biguanide and peroxide levels results in less work battling slime and mold on the pool walls, I figure it's worth the cost of the kit and the extra chemical consumption. Fighting the biofilms is so labor intensive - both in work with the filter and brushing / vacuuming.

To answer your question...yeah...both my friend's and my experience with chlorine was through the local pool store back in the days of "stingy sticks" and "burnout". Long story not really worth delving into. Probably one of the most important things I have learned here is to rely on pool store advice as little as possible. I don't even go there for water testing anymore now that I have reliable test kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, no matter what system you're using - do what it takes to not have to battle slime and mold on the pool walls. What is the point of having a pool if it isn't beautiful and you're safely swimming in it, right?

I understand what you're saying about the costs. Fair enough.

So given that you're doing it that way, and seem to be making progress, any questions for us at the moment?

I will just remind you to use the soft bristle brush VERY frequently when your walls and floor have algae/mold/slime on them as all sanitizers benefit from a little help to penetrate their protective biofilms. It is more about the number of brushings, not how hard you brush.

Did you follow TFP instructions on how much DE to add or another protocol? Ours has proven quite a reasonable balance for most people between aggressive filtering and minimizing unnecessary backwashing.

As always, pictures make us happy, no pressure though.

Anthony,
I’m SO glad you got that kit. To me the main reason Baqua pools failed we’re the lack of Peroxide being added regularly. My gut says you’ll see a large improvement this year due to the abality to keep that “in range.”

If I may call for a favor, can you refresh my memory of what the levels for Baqua Shock should be? It’s been awhile and my memory has forgot. Regardless, this is the main focus at this point. Keep the Oxidizer levels high and it should clear up in time.

Hello all, I replied to last year's thread and didn't see this.

I've owned a Baquacil pool since 2006. I have had the now extinct Baqucil AD (automatic distribution) system since 2007. It has always kept my pool in check. I have had crystal clear water for years. The test strips they sell are worthless. I would always have to drive 60 miles round trip to my dealer to get accurate readings and treatments. Mid-summer last year began my battle which started with an algae bloom. I wasn't home and it got bad. I cleared up the mess but the aftermath was the start of a white mold battle. Never got a clear pool before giving up around Labor Day. I found the Lamotte ColorQ test kit for biguanide with a digital readout. Very easy to use kit. I currently have an almost clear pool, looking to use the Ahh-some product to clear it up.

Here is last year's white mold, never had this problem before.

Attachments

• JPEG_20170814_170508_400941689.jpg
    JPEG_20170814_170508_400941689.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 163
Anthony,
I’m SO glad you got that kit. To me the main reason Baqua pools failed we’re the lack of Peroxide being added regularly. My gut says you’ll see a large improvement this year due to the abality to keep that “in range.”

If I may call for a favor, can you refresh my memory of what the levels for Baqua Shock should be? It’s been awhile and my memory has forgot. Regardless, this is the main focus at this point. Keep the Oxidizer levels high and it should clear up in time.

Hi Leebo,

Thanks for the encouragement! Hoping for a good season. I wasn't sure of the recommended levels either and so consulted directly with baquacil. The sanitizer should be kept at 50 and oxidizer between 40-80. Easy to do with the kit and a chart that shows how much to add. I gathered all that info a few months before opening the pool so that I'd be ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello all, I replied to last year's thread and didn't see this.

I've owned a Baquacil pool since 2006. I have had the now extinct Baqucil AD (automatic distribution) system since 2007. It has always kept my pool in check. I have had crystal clear water for years. The test strips they sell are worthless. I would always have to drive 60 miles round trip to my dealer to get accurate readings and treatments. Mid-summer last year began my battle which started with an algae bloom. I wasn't home and it got bad. I cleared up the mess but the aftermath was the start of a white mold battle. Never got a clear pool before giving up around Labor Day. I found the Lamotte ColorQ test kit for biguanide with a digital readout. Very easy to use kit. I currently have an almost clear pool, looking to use the Ahh-some product to clear it up.

Here is last year's white mold, never had this problem before.

Matt,

Where's the mold? I KNOW what this stuff looks like and I'm not seeing it in your picture. What I've had almost looks like small bits of white paper-like stuff floating around. And, of course, more comes up when you start brushing. Truly disgusting.

Battle,

I have always added 6 scoops of DE (scoop comes with a 25-lb. bag of DE). Been doing that since I started in '89. Guess I got that info from one of the first pool seminars I ever attended that my local pool store used to hold each year. Interesting that you mention brushing. I do use a plastic bristle brush, but I've found that when the slime/mold is present, the brush alone doesn't get it off. So then I put a cleaning cloth (that I got from the local auto parts store) under the brush and go at it that way. That seems to get all the deposits off the walls. Weird that the cloth works better than the bristles, but it does. Hoping not to have to do that again this season, but you never know. Baquacil treated pools = not for the squeamish. Thanks for additional thoughts. Much appreciated.

Matt_baqua_Oh - welcome! That certainly is a pretty pool & deck area and it will look even better once you get your sanitizer level up and keep it there until you can clear up that water and those walls. I'm not a Baqua person, so I'll just wish you good luck in your crusade. I will give you the same reminder I give our chlorine members - don't quit maintaining your elevated sanitizer level until the entire cleanup is complete. Our SLAM Process process has three end criteria that you must satisfy before ending it, and I suggest you use the same concept or your nasty invaders will just return again and you'll have wasted a lot of your precious time and money. Be sure after you clean it up, you keep enough sanitizer in there to keep it clear and safe

anthonypool89 - Very interesting about the cloth... I'd have expected the finish to eat it up. On the DE front - next time you add DE, check the PSI before and after to see what your PSI rise is from the 6 scoops and how it compares to our suggestion. Perhaps you are right in line or perhaps you're under or over. If you're under, you might try increasing to our suggestion and watching to see if it helps clear faster.

Battle...typically my starting pressure, following a filter cleaning and new DE added (the 6 scoops I referred to) is @12. Then, when I get up around 20-22 I flush it all out. As to the amount of DE that TFP suggests adding, isn't that dependent on the size and model, etc. of the filter? I wouldn't think the addition of DE is a 'one size fits all' approach. I briefly looked at the TFP section dealing with filters. There is info on adding DE to a sand filter (never heard of that being done) and I came across "filter comparison" info, but didn't find anything on how much DE to apply to a DE filter.

Ok. It must be said. :mrgreen:

Convert to chlorine and follow the SLAM Process process.
:gone:

hey, I had a very reputable pool builder in my area just the other day when he was giving me an estimate on a new pool tell me that SWGs are horrid and that baqua with an ozonator is the only way to go..... lol

he asked me which system I wanted and I told him neither.... I do "liquid chlorination"..... the stumped look was priceless... :p

im actually thinking of going SWG on this next one... but if I do im going to self install after build so....

anthonypool89,

Yes, I have seen the paper looking gunk in the pool and my pump basket. I have in the past, cycled the inbound valve to the pump abruptly between the skimmer line and dual bottom drains. Doing this will free up the stuff in the lines...what a nasty site to see! I have had near perfect numbers this past week, calcium hardness on the low end. Last week purchased the ahhsome product and put it in Saturday afternoon. By Monday, looking really good and more clear than all of last year.

Years past I had been lazy, letting my 10 year old Dirt Devil (Dolphin) do most of the work. Only brushing the sides when green appeared. That too will change. I am testing Wednesday and Saturday, keeping a log of reading as well as what I am putting in. I'll be brushing at least once a week, robot everyday.

Since putting the ahhsome clarifier in, no more gunk. I am also about to fire up the old Baquacil AD system but will keep the Algicide off as I have been using the CDX along with the Oxidizer.

Here is a picture from the security camera today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180605-091400.jpg
    Screenshot_20180605-091400.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 52

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.