Another Algae or Dirt Thread

Just to the SLAM level. Your FC SLAM level is 20. You got this.

Yes, keep it there until the water is clear, with no "stuff" at the seams, and that I do not lose more than 1PPM of FC from the FC SLAM level, and no CC above .5. Test, replace FC with Liquid Chlorine to get to target level. For SLAM the 10mL FAS-DPD test (.5ppm) is plenty accurate and will save reagent.
Appreciate the support. Started the process last night added the reccommended Liquid Chlorine and got the FC up to 21 at 8:45 PM with the pump running overnight. Rechecked this AM and was down to 13PPM, added additional LC to recommended amount, brushed, and will recheck here in a little bit.

Reactions: PoolStored
I am late weighing in, but does your robot pick it up? I get a gritty sand from my coping in my dolphin when I run it. You can definately pinch it and it is very gritty, like coarse sand. Does your coping look like mine? You're not far from me so it may be the same material. I know your already slamming, but maybe unnecessarily.........

Attachments

• 20190626_071623.jpg
    20190626_071623.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: C&HSewell
I am late weighing in, but does your robot pick it up? I get a gritty sand from my coping in my dolphin when I run it. You can definately pinch it and it is very gritty, like coarse sand. Does your coping look like mine? You're not far from me so it may be the same material. I know your already slamming, but maybe unnecessarily.........
Just like yours. I thought there was some grit originally, but I put a mask on and did some more detailed investigation. There ended up being no grit and it disappeared at the slighest touch and I could not capture any in a papertowel(which was a great suggestion). If it were from the flagstone, there would have been remnants and in this case it was as if nothing was there and concluded it was algae. As also mentioned, I failed the OCLT last night during the intal SLAM addition.

The first test I did pass, but the "stuff" came back which means I didnt pass the other aspect of the process(ie Clear Water). If it were not algae, the FC would have been at, or within, the 21PPM that I got the level too last night, which is wasn't. Another indicator of algae.

Out of curiousity are you vacuuming also? In SLAM you need to brush & vacuum everyday and out of SLAM vacuuming keeps debris from collecting on the floor.

You need to brush 2-3 times daily for slam. Vacuuming is only if you want to eliminate it faster either via vac to waste or vac through the filter but then the filter will need to be cleaned too when pressure goes 25% above clean pressure reading. If you brush well and churn up the dead algae it'll find its way to the filter.

I have not had to deal with a slam yet but could you use a vacuum that has it’s own filter no hose to avoid vacuum to waste or filter? I use my hose-less vac if my robot vac misses something or behind my ladder.

Out of curiousity are you vacuuming also? In SLAM you need to brush & vacuum everyday and out of SLAM vacuuming keeps debris from collecting on the floor.

You need to brush 2-3 times daily for slam. Vacuuming is only if you want to eliminate it faster either via vac to waste or vac through the filter but then the filter will need to be cleaned too when pressure goes 25% above clean pressure reading. If you brush well and churn up the dead algae it'll find its way to the filter.
I've been getting my workout in for sure.

Reactions: Britali

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning 2 of the SLAM. Yesterday was a chore checking, adding, brushing, repeat... To be honest, I was hoping that my persistence would have paid off over night, but not so much. Although the water is clear and there has been no algae settling on the bottom, I failed the OCLT. Yesterday evening at sunset was 21 after adding the recommened dose at around 8pm. Woke up with AM to FC of 14ppm and got bummed out. So far I am up to almost 10 gallons of LC in total. Hopefully not much longer. I feel like people are looking at me as if i were trying to coverup a crime scene with the bleach that I have been buying.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Morning 2 of the SLAM. Yesterday was a chore checking, adding, brushing, repeat... To be honest, I was hoping that my persistence would have paid off over night, but not so much. Although the water is clear and there has been no algae settling on the bottom, I failed the OCLT. Yesterday evening at sunset was 21 after adding the recommened dose at around 8pm. Woke up with AM to FC of 14ppm and got bummed out. So far I am up to almost 10 gallons of LC in total. Hopefully not much longer. I feel like people are looking at me as if i were trying to coverup a crime scene with the bleach that I have been buying.
HA HA! You are making progress. Prolly 100s of thousands of pools before you on this site experience the exact same thing.

Trust the process:

How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

How clear should my water be? A very common question. Here is mine on a calm morning where I could finally vacuum. Yes I know, I'm still manually vacuuming. It took me 7 years to finally get an SWG, I'm working on a robot. :) So now let's see your water clarity.

www.troublefreepool.com

Just an endorsement of TFP for newbies, from a newbie

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post a message for anyone new to the site or just exploring. At first you might think, "Does all of this really work?", "This is too complicated for me", and/or "My local pool store will help more than this site". As someone who was new to this site last year...

www.troublefreepool.com

Afternoon Update: My wife thinks I am crazy, but she understands and appreciates my efforts. She even agreed to go get more LC because I was self conscious about buying yet more LC. Still no settling or visable algae on the bottom or seams. Brushing the pool at noon is a booger in the dawg days of summer in Ga!!!! Gotta do it though.

Noon added 124oz 10% LC and then at 3:45 added another 96oz. This does not surprise me as the pool is in full sun and it is really sunny today.

Happy Way To Go GIF by D-Wayne

Morning 3 Update:

Went to bed last night at 22PM and woke tested at 6:30AM to 17PPM. Failed another OCLT.
Added recommended dose to get it back to, or slightly over, the 20PPM SLAM level.
Water is still clear.
No settling of anything on the bottom or seams.

2 Questions:
  1. While I am not sure if it means anything, the Delta from the previous OCLT was smaller this time. Can anyone tell me if this means I am making progress?
  2. Is it ok to overshoot the SLAM PPM recommendation as I have done on a couple of ocassions?

As an aside, I did find a new source of LC that is, what I think, a good deal. Home Depot has 4pk Gallons of LC for 17.98/box. About $1 cheaper per bottle than anywhere else.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Midday recap:

11:15 dropped to 17PPM added 83oz.
2:30 dropped to 16PPM added 110oz.

Wife is getting anxious and questioning my sanity and the method, but holding on the sites recommendations and words of encouragement.

Midday recap:

11:15 dropped to 17PPM added 83oz.
2:30 dropped to 16PPM added 110oz.

Wife is getting anxious and questioning my sanity and the method, but holding on the sites recommendations and words of encouragement.
So look at it this way, you only lost 1ppm during the daylight hours in 3 hours 15 minutes of time. I think that's great.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.