Another Algae Bloom

I see you actually have a partial signature. See pooldv's link to know what to add to it to help us. Also, make sure that all your devices have the "show signature" button checked at the bottom of your posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you add the bleach tonight? I know it is raining, but the sooner the better!

Gah! I wish you had a signature. So tough scrolling back to find the info. Would you do that please? Click settings at the top of the page, and then in the sidebar click edit/add signature. Thanks!!!

Marian- This is so weird. I actually do have a signature. It was the first thing that I did when I set up this account. For some reason it only shows on some of my posts and not all of them. I'll look into it again.

Update: It doesn't show my signature when I post from my phone. That was the issue.

Ok everyone. I "SLAMMED" the pool yesterday at 3 pm and added approximately 2.5 gallons of bleach. The FC was raised to approximately 26-27 after the addition of bleach. I checked the pool at 6 pm and again once the sunset at 9 pm. My 9pm reading was FC: 24.

I woke up a bit later this AM and the sun was already on the pool, my fault. However, the water was super clear!!!! Went from a green mess to crystal clear overnight. I took a full test and here are the results:
FC: 22.5-23
CC: .5-1
CH-100
TA-90
CYA- 70
pH- 8.2 maybe higher...

I'm not 100% confident with my results. Sometimes, I'm not sure if I'm matching colors close enough. Like is this "red" or "blue" enough? I'm looking for full colors and I probably should just look for the color hues.

My pH was super high! I did read that pH test aren't accurate during a shock. So, I'm going to trust that my "pre shock" reading yesterday of 7.4 was correct. My CYA seemed higher, but I really don;t want to drain again.

I think I'm done, right? My CC was really close to .5. It probably was .5 , if my 1st reading was correct. FC loss was pretty darn small and water is clear.

Thoughts? Am I ok? Should I wait another day? Can I swim in the pool with high FC?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Am I done shocking? I haven't added anymore chlorine. Pool is still really clear. Very sunny today though...I don't want to lower the FC levels if it's too early.

With my last test results that I shared, I think the pool is ready. Thoughts?

Thanks.

I did follow the steps. I wasn't sure if my FC loss from the OCLT was 1 or 1.5. CC's are also down to .5 . Either way, it's really close. That's why I was asking, if it's ready. It seemed really close to the SLAM criteria.

I think I'm ok. I'm gonna leave it alone. Chlorine has already dropped to 13 this quickly. I'll perform another OCLT tonight to double check that I'm ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would maintain SLAM 1 more day as FC loss and CC are borderline, might as well get done now rather than have it come back in a few weeks. you can leave it just under SLAM levels and swim today then when done take it back up to Slam level and redo OCLT to be sure FC drop < 1 and CC is <.5.

Just for clarity on terminology, I edited your first sentence:

Ok everyone. I am SLAMing the pool. Yesterday at 3 pm I added approximately 2.5 gallons of bleach. The FC was raised to approximately 26-27 after the addition of bleach. I checked the pool at 6 pm and again once the sunset at 9 pm. My 9pm reading was FC: 24.
SLAM is a multi-day procedure. Shocking is elevating FC to a high level. Each SLAM has an FC level or shock level (the shock level level commensurate with CYA)

Definitely another day needed at shock level. Don't test anything other than FC and CC until the SLAM is complete. Post a pic of your clarity. Put the pool brush leaning in or your ladder showing all rungs.

Great job so far by the way. Sounds like it's going really well.

I'm so frustrated. I just want this process to be correct. I shocked the pool again an FC of 24. I checked it 4 times yesterday and raised it each time. At 9 pm, I checked the FC for an OCLT, it was 23.

Just checked again this AM, before sunrise, and the FC was 21.5 and CC's were 1. Why won't these CC's go down???? My water is crystal clear and I really thought I was done. I just checked my CYA again and my reading may be closer to 70 than 60. Maybe I'm not shocking at a high enough level? Thoughts? Just checked the CYA chart and it says for a CYA level of 70, I should be shocking closer to 28. Could this be the issue? Or does it just take time? Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

I just want to get in the pool and enjoy v spending all my time working on it! It's my first year and everyone keeps telling me that it gets easier. I also have people visiting my home today and wanted to invite them in the pool. I guess not, huh?

1.jpg2.jpg

Just added 83 oz of bleach. Took the FC level up to 28. I can't give up. My pool is so close to being correct and sanitary. I want to do this right and not encounter more algae in a few days. Here are a few photos. I'm going to vacuum now as well.

Last edited:
You're getting there! Algae is tough. It doesn't take much residual to fight back. But once you get ahead of it things get easier. Look into a swg. Makes pool maintenance stupidly easy. I picked up 3 gallons of 10% chlorinating liquid at Lowe's yesterday for $12.43 including tax. 3 Gallon box of 6% @ Costco runs $9 here pre tax. 2/3 More chlorine for 1/3 more $. Wal-Mart may be cheaper, but I don't live close to one.

It is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level for your cya, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], we swam every day during a SLAM last summer with FC at 28 and CYA at 70.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who jumped in and replied on this thread! You are amazing. My pool looks great! It's amazing how few chemicals are needed to balance a pool. I threw away EVERYTHING that I bought from Leslie's and my pool has never been this clear. I owe it all to you! I'm definitely going to donate to the site.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.