Android/iPhone control of Intellitouch and Easytouch

Doesn't external access to the SL2 require a connection through their relay server? If not, why do they use a relay server? I seem to recall some posts on PoolFYI.com complaining about their SL2 relay server being down. Since the Autelis is just a small "web appliance," it doesn't involve a relay server. From my perspective, I see the Autelis as the perfect unit for basic control over an Easytouch or Intellitouch (I think they should also make it compatible with the SunTouch). It doesn't have all of the extensive functionality of the SL2, but allows control of major functions through a very simple interface. Incidentally, I have my Autelis wired to my LAN via CAT5e that I ran to the pool house. I ran additional CAT5e to the Easytouch comm. port. This works great, and I cannot comment on trying to do this wirelessly (though this is much more an issue of the reliability of the WiFi setup than the Autelis itself). BTW, Autelis also sells a weatherproof box that can be mounted outside next to the pool equipment that includes a WiFi bridge, power wire and comm. wire for an extra $60 or so. So if you need WiFi and wish to mount it outside next to the pool equipment, this is possible.

I have both units connected to my easytouch controller. They both connect via a 4-wire cable to the COM port (rs485) either inside the controller or on the wired remote unit. Both connect to your network with a standard Ethernet cable. Both can connect to your wifi network using a separate adapter.

The SL2 has an application you install on a PC to configure the protocol adapter (Ethernet to rs485). Pentair provides a free iOS app that works on iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad. It allows you to connect locally without going through an external relay server or remotely through Home Logic's relay server. The protocol adapter's serial number is used as the remote address so you don't need to configure your router to forward the port through your firewall. It was very easy to install and get configured, controls all circuits in my system, and works great when it works. I would not have also purchased the Autelis adapter if the SL2 worked reliably for me.

The Autelis protocol adapter connected easily and did not require any configuration except for changing the password. Remote connection requires you to forward a port through your firewall. It does not support upnp to auto configure the port. The only grip I have is that it requires a wall wart for power (even though the 4-wire connection provides +15 volts and ground) and it doesn't control the wirlpool jets in my spa which are controlled by auxex on the easytouch. The things I like most about it are that it allows integration with HA devices through standard http operations, doesn't require an external relay server, it's simple, and it just works.

PS: The SL2 is implemented using a standard (although very expensive) Rabbit RCM3710 (http://www.digi.com/products/wirele...lutions-on-module/rabbitcore/rcm3700#overview) microcontroller solution module that I intend to repurpose for some other HA project.

Landmark -

Thanks so much for the clarification. So, it looks like you can access the SL2 protocol adaptor via WiFi without accessing the relay server, but you do need to go through it if you are accessing your SL2 via the web (e.g. out of range of the home's WiFi/LAN).

It's really good to have someone here with both to be able to compare the two. I know they had some trouble with the Aux Extra function, but maybe that's one thing we can ask them to work on!

Okay, new firmware (1.3.3) is available from Autelis for this unit. The new firmware adds 1) Aux Extra control from the equipment page, 2) control over the Intellichlor, which includes being able to check salt levels, set pool/spa %, and turn on superchlorination for a specific number of hours, and 3) an Intelliflo status page that reports the speed and wattage of an attached Intelliflo. The Alerts page is also updated so that if there is a problem with the Intellichlor (e.g. low salt, etc), this can generate an alert and email you to remind you to add salt (or clean the cell). I think these new functions greatly enhance the utility of this easy to use automation bridge.

I've tested it and it seems to be stable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some screen shots showing some of the updated pages. First, the new Chemistry page that shows the Intellichlor status and allows for new settings:
[attachment=2:24e3a3f1]Chemistry.jpg[/attachment:24e3a3f1]

This is nice because you can enable or disable the Intellichlor and change the settings for pool and spa. Also, you can activate superchlorinate and enter the number of hours to do this from this page.

Next, the pump status window shows the status of an Intelliflo pump:
[attachment=1:24e3a3f1]Pumps.jpg[/attachment:24e3a3f1]

Lastly, there are new Alerts that can be sent if there is a problem with the Intelliflo or Intellichem. I'm not sure if the Screen Logic 2 will do this, but this Alerts page is a nice feature. It will let you know by an email (or text message) that your pump is having problems, that the Intellichlor is having problems, if you pass a certain temp. threshold (e.g. the spa is up to temp, or the water is near freezing), etc. Very useful feature...

[attachment=0:24e3a3f1]Alerts.jpg[/attachment:24e3a3f1]

Attachments

• Chemistry.jpg
    Chemistry.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Pumps.jpg
    Pumps.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Alerts.jpg
    Alerts.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 149
Hi all,
First post. I have been here awhile and learning alot!

I am trying to decide on the wired remote (mounted under patio cover) or this Autelis. Love the portability and alerts of the Autelis! I have one important question: As this is a new install, will the Autelis void the warranty in any way on my brand new Easy Touch?

Thanks,
Chris

Unless they specifically stated this, I doubt it. It would be kind of like voiding the warranty if you hooked up a Jandy 2-speed pump to an Easy Touch or Intellitouch, or an Intermatic valve actuator. Just take extra care to make sure you have connected the proper wires from the Autelis to the communications port on your Easy Touch. This is also the case for the SL2, as the RS485 line carries data on the inside wires and +15V on the outside wires IIRC. Getting them mixed up could damage the RS485 circuitry on the main board.

I bit the bullet and purchased the last wireless Autelis system in inventory for my Pentair/iPhone. Originally, their website said the wireless kit was out of stock. When I inquired about availability I was told they had one left. If that sold, they could help me with a DIY solution until they got more inventory. It sounds like they reegineering it. I placed my order immediately and received it earlier this week.

When it arrived via priority mail, the unit had a rattle inside. Opening the unit revealed the ethernet bridge was lying on the bottom with the power and Ethernet cables attached. It was only attached with a small piece of double sided tape. Inspection of the controller showed the same problem. I reattached both items using generous amounts of Velcro.

There has been no time to test it on my workbench as I have been struggling with programming my BRAND NEW EasyTouch 8. Only yesterday after talking with Pentair support did we determine the motherboard is bad. It would not communicate with the Intelliflo VS pump. BTW, Pentair Support was great. They spent 45 minutes on the phone walking me through all possibilities. Now I'm waiting on the local service guy. It turns out he's the guy that has been working on the Pentair equipment at my old house and rental property for years. He installed a new motherboard last year in the EasyTouch 4 at the rental property. I've gotten to know him well!

Assuming the EasyTouch gets fixed today, maybe this weekend I'll checkout and install the Autelis system.

More to come.

Congrats on the new purchases! I absolutely LOVE our Easytouch 8. It along with the included Intellichlor and our properly plumbed MX8 cleaner have really made pool maintenance so much easier. As I'm getting our pool's TA down, acid additions are less frequent as well. In addition to reduced maintenance, I really appreciate the "geek factor" as well. When friends come over, they are always so impressed that I can turn on the spa, waterfall and pool lighting with my Android (not to mention backyard sound system, outdoor lighting, etc). It's also quite handy to be able to follow the status of the pool pump's energy draw. Mas' Intelliflo charts allow me to determine my flow rate (as we have the Intelliflo VS, not VF), so I know when it's time to clean the DE filter. It's also cool to be able to turn on the spa from work and have it all heated up when we get home, or get an email warning if the salt level drops too low, etc.

Bummer about your ET8 mainboard! That would be frustrating. As for the setup, your main challenge once the ET8 is working will be to get the Autelis communicating over the WiFi bridge. I'd suggest setting a fixed LAN IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.80). This makes access easier, esp. if the http://poolcontrol/ address doesn't work. For external access, you will need to need to open up a port for the Autelis unit. In addition, you should look into getting a DNS service if your internet provider doesn't offer you a static IP for WAN access. DynDNS and NoIP are both good for this, but you should check to see which DNS services are supported by your router, if any. I use DynDNS and it works great with our Linksys E4200v2 router.

Best of luck!

CraigMW,

Yeah, the motherboard is a bummer. While the ET is not straight forward to program, I didn't think it was all that hard. Until I contacted Pentair I thought I was loosing my edge. The repair guy will be here next week once he receives the new board.

In the mean time, the VS pump can be used stand alone. Like you, I'm working on getting the chems in line before I turn up the IntelliChlor. The VS pump should work well with the infloor cleaning system. I know, I know how people on this board feel about infloor cleaning systems. But there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) that needs to be considered. She does not like hoses or creepy crawly things in the pool, mechanical or natural (snakes, rats, birds, etc.). We had an infloor cleaning system in our last house. While I wasn't enamored with it, it worked okay. There are more important things to stand my ground.

I like the ET4 at our rental property. It makes using the pool and spa pretty idiot proof for the tenant. The ET8 should be great with the new pool. Like you, I enjoy the "Geek Factor". Our home theater system is controlled by our iPhones/iPads using the Roomie app. It does "wow" our friends and neighbors.

This morning I was able to play with the Autelis System and it's up and running on the home network using http://poolcontrol. Now I have to set it up to work off the Internet. I may call on your expertise to walk me through it. But I'll give it a shot on my own.

Once I have everything humming and have a few spare moments I'll post pictures of the pool, outdoor kitchen (grill, dual side burner, sink (hot & cold), frig, lots of storage and TV of course) build and landscaping - 2 months from start to finish.

Vcbmoore said:
CraigMW,

There are more important things to stand my ground.

Nothing could be more true than that! Been there, done that. :whip:

I'd be happy to help you get your Autelis set up for WAN (outside) access. It's pretty simple, you just need to read your router manual to learn how to open ports and set an IP address. Having a router that does DDNS is helpful, but not essential as you can also download client software from the major dynamic DNS providers have software that can run on your PC or Mac computer and update the mapping of a dynamic IP to your DDNS domain. If your ISP gives you a static IP, then no worries.

It's pretty simple:
open ports and set an IP address. Having a router that does DDNS is helpful, but not essential as you can also download client software from the major dynamic DNS providers have software that can run on your PC or Mac computer and update the mapping of a dynamic IP to your DDNS domain. If your ISP gives you a static IP, then no worries.

HUH!!! :shock:

Just-a-PB said:
It's pretty simple:
open ports and set an IP address. Having a router that does DDNS is helpful, but not essential as you can also download client software from the major dynamic DNS providers have software that can run on your PC or Mac computer and update the mapping of a dynamic IP to your DDNS domain. If your ISP gives you a static IP, then no worries.

HUH!!! :shock:

Hey, it sounds worse than it actually is! Well... I guess it's not that bad once you've done it before :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.