Amazon Alexa and Intellicenter

Sorry. I am new here. but the thread on this topic says it is closed! I am not sure why that is since this is STILL A RELEVANT PROBLEM!
I too have used Alexa with my Pentair spa control for over 2 years! And it worked fine mostly. I just posted a message on the Pentair FB page
Here is the conversation:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Me:
Hey! What did you do? Alexa no longer has a Pentair SKILL! PUT IT BACK!
Unacceptable that this NO LONGER WORKS! You claim Alexa compatibility! Make it SO!

Pentair:
Thanks for asking -- the Alexa skill has been submitted to Amazon and once they have completed their security checks, it will be available. Thank you for your patience! - Patrick C.

Me:
You should have left the one on until the new one was approved and ready to go! We were told in May it would be 2 weeks! It has been over 6 weeks now! I AM NOT HAPPY! Along with many others! Poor way to run a business! ??

Pentair:
We have definitely heard. I know the team is working on it and we share the social media feedback on a regular basis.

Let's hope it is soon! :)

Reactions: GDN
Just to confirm this skill only works if you have the IntelliCenter - it won't work with the EasyTouch.

IIRC I enabled skill which then made me login and afterwards I got a question to authorize with a yes/no option. Clicking yes took a little while to register but then it was linked.
Will it work with Easy Touch 8 if you have ScreenLogic?

Will it work with Easy Touch 8 if you have ScreenLogic? And if I have the option to get The Intellicenter instead of easy touch w/ScreenLogic Should I do it? I definitely want to be able to use Alexa or some voice command with it so that is an important distinction. Is the easy touch able to get software updates. I’m sorry if these are silly questions. I know nothing about pool equipment and pb already has easy touch sitting in my garage so I need to tell him quickly.

Husband and PB asking me to tell them why I want the Intellicenter instead of EasyTouch 8 w/screenLogic. Apparently, it's not enough to say that the "experienced people on TFP said so". 🤷‍♀️ Can anyone looking at my signature tell me briefly what benefit that gives me over the EasyTouch 8 w/Screenlogic. I know there are benefits but I don't know enough about pools to which ones will actually be useful to us. Help! I've tried to read up on it but I'm too green to make a case. Maybe we don't need it? I just know I don't want outdated technology in 2 years but maybe my pool is not big enough or doesn't have as many features that make Intellicenter necessary and easyTouch obsolete. I keep hearing it's basically the same price but then I see all these add-ons for it with "relays" and Personalities". Seriously, just please help. And thank you.:LOL:

See discussion below, both are good systems that will work for you. Pentair protocol adapter seems to have reliability issues so worth taking into account.

See discussion below, both are good systems that will work for you. Pentair protocol adapter seems to have reliability issues so worth taking into account.

Exactly what I needed! Thanks for the link!

Just to confirm this skill only works if you have the IntelliCenter - it won't work with the EasyTouch.

IIRC I enabled skill which then made me login and afterwards I got a question to authorize with a yes/no option. Clicking yes took a little while to register but then it was linked.
Do you have any knowledge of fact it won't work with ET? I suspect you are 100% correct, becuase it won't do squat for me with an Easytouch. I can not log in successfully from the skill and the new skill even has Intellicenter in the name.

I just don't understand why they every disabled and removed the original skill. It was finally stable for the ET.

I was able to get far enough and found in the documentation you even have to address the new skill with a different command - It's "Alexa ask Pentair CHAT" - the chat is new. The two skills could have lived perfectly side by side.

I've loved having the Pentair equipment and Easytouch, but I'm losing confidence fast. This is exactly why companies need to stick to their core competencies and likely outsource their IT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@GDN It looks like the Pentair ScreenLogic is now available, can you try that instead?

I've loved having the Pentair equipment and Easytouch, but I'm losing confidence fast. This is exactly why companies need to stick to their core competencies and likely outsource their IT.

Actually it's possible that happened. There's been a reorganization within Pentair earlier this year and they may have outsourced some of their software development. Outsourcing is an easy way to reduce expenses, but unless properly managed it can have negative consequences and cause issues like we've just seen.

Last edited:
@GDN It looks like the Pentair ScreenLogic is now available, can you try that instead?

Actually it's possible that happened. There's been a reorganization within Pentair earlier this year and they may have outsourced some of their software development. Outsourcing is an easy way to reduce expenses, but unless properly managed it can have negative consequences and cause issues like we've just seen.
Thanks for the tip. I've searched for skills again and still only find the one for Intellicenter. I will give it some time and try again just in case they have multiple servers or a roll out of some sort across all users. Giving them the benefit of the doubt for right now.

So there is a new skill finally - but it is listed as Pentair Intellicenter. The URL for linking has changed from pentairpoolchat.com to pentairpooltalk.com. I can download the skill, but it won't link and recognize my account. So I'm in the process of trying to set up a new account. You might download the skill and see how your luck is, I'm not getting there just yet !!

The skill was never totally reliable beforehand, so it's probably a server issue their end. Also check that your panel is connected to the internet just in case.

Last edited:
Finally today, I now have two Pentair Alexa skills to select from and I'm able to once again use Alexa. They have divided them out - "Pentair Intellicenter" skill for the new device and "Pentair Screenlogic" skill for Easy Touch and Intellitouch using Screenlogic.

They both have new command sets to activate:
Intellicenter you must now say "Alexa, ask Pentair CHAT ....."
Screenlogic you must now say "Alexa ask Pentair POOL ...."

If you just ask the old command you'll get feedback that skill no longer works.

Reactions: rnickum
Finally today, I now have two Pentair Alexa skills to select from and I'm able to once again use Alexa. They have divided them out - "Pentair Intellicenter" skill for the new device and "Pentair Screenlogic" skill for Easy Touch and Intellitouch using Screenlogic.

They both have new command sets to activate:
Intellicenter you must now say "Alexa, ask Pentair CHAT ....."
Screenlogic you must now say "Alexa ask Pentair POOL ...."

If you just ask the old command you'll get feedback that skill no longer works.
I have the Pentair Intellicenter linked and enabled. When I say "Alexa, ask Pentair CHAT to turn on pool"( or anything else), she comes back with "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Pentair Intellicenter Skill right now". I have written Amazon, but so far they have only told me how to link the skill, which I've already done.

The problem likely isn't with Amazon, but rather on the Pentair end...

See How to change failure message for Alexa? for possible reasons:

The error happens when Alexa is not able to get a valid response from your skill endpoint. There can be multiple reasons to that as mentioned here

1. Your endpoint is giving an invalid response
2. Your endpoint availability
3. Your endpoint response time

I have the Pentair Intellicenter linked and enabled. When I say "Alexa, ask Pentair CHAT to turn on pool"( or anything else), she comes back with "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Pentair Intellicenter Skill right now". I have written Amazon, but so far they have only told me how to link the skill, which I've already done.

EDIT: Problem solved. We had to have a faulty circuit breaker, on the panel, replaced (this was done after linking to Alexa). Reboot evidently didn't take. 2 hours later, after chats with Amazon (to no avail), rebooted again. This time it rebooted properly and we're back in business. 2 hours we will never get back LOL. Famous last words....when all else fails, REBOOT....again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.