Am I doing the right thing?

Aug 8, 2021
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been testing my pool with the Taylor 2006 test kit. For the last week I have been adding about 2 1/2 quarts of 10% bleach each night. My FC reading is always .5 before adding.
The CYA was zero, had to wait for it to come from Amazon. Now it is 40 and tonight poolmath told me to add a gallon of bleach. Am I going to need to add a gallon a day of bleach from here on out? Is that a normal amount to be adding?

I have been testing my pool with the Taylor 2006 test kit. For the last week I have been adding about 2 1/2 quarts of 10% bleach each night. My FC reading is always .5 before adding.
The CYA was zero, had to wait for it to come from Amazon. Now it is 40 and tonight poolmath told me to add a gallon of bleach. Am I going to need to add a gallon a day of bleach from here on out? Is that a normal amount to be adding?

A gallon/day is a bit excessive for a 22k gallon pool.
Are you testing the chlorine ~30-45 minutes after adding it to make sure it’s reaching what you expected?

Post up a full set of test results. You should consider doing an overnight chlorine loss test (OLCT) to determine if the loss is caused by the sun or something else growing in the water.

Welcome to TFP! Great job getting one of the recommended test kits.

Check out the pool calculator at the bottom of the page. With a CYA of 40ppm, you’ll need a gallon to get from FC 0 ppm to FC 5 ppm. You have a large pool. However, since you don’t want to get anywhere near the minimum FC based upon the CYA/FC chart. If you FC was 4 ppm when you last tested to get back to FC 5 ppm you would only need 22 oz of liquid chlorine. See how that works?

There are lots of variables. How big your pool is, and does it get direct sunlight? Do you use a solar cover? What is your CYA level?

I have a 31,000 Gallon pool in Northern Ohio. I get direct sunlight, when it is sunny. I add 20 oz. or so a day if I don't swim and keep the cover on, about .5FC. I add 40-60 oz if I uncover for the 1/2 the day and light swim about 1-1.5FC I add 120 oz (about a gallon) if it is sunny all day, uncovered, and swimmers, up to 2.5FC. The most UV is the first 3' depth of the pool. In mine it is 18K gallons in the first 3'. I keep my CYA between 50-60, and my FC at 7.5.

Hopefully that is helpful. You may find your usage is a bit higher at 40 CYA and in TN (more sun/UV), than Ohio and 60 CYA.

The higher CYA (with your add of CYA) *should* help your OVERALL chlorine usage.

My best recommendation is follow the FC/CYA chart and keep your pool at the high end of the target for you 7, or even keep it at 8 until you learn your pool usage (no, you will not smell it and it won't cause irritation at 8). FC/CYA Levels This will protect you from any chance of getting algae.

Thanks for the help. I just tested and the CYA is 50, FC 2, which is wonderful to me as every other time I have tested, the FC has been .5. I don’t have enough bleach on hand so will just add enough to get the FC to 6.
We have had very hot sunny days, last weekend we had about a foot of rain overnight, and we have nine children at home who use the pool at least twice a day. So I am feeling like my 3quarts 2 cups of bleach is okay compared to what others said they use!

Thanks for the help. I just tested and the CYA is 50, FC 2, which is wonderful to me as every other time I have tested, the FC has been .5. I don’t have enough bleach on hand so will just add enough to get the FC to 6.
We have had very hot sunny days, last weekend we had about a foot of rain overnight, and we have nine children at home who use the pool at least twice a day. So I am feeling like my 3quarts 2 cups of bleach is okay compared to what others said they use!
I’d recommend measuring in 1/4 bottle, one 1/2 bottle etc. no need for measuring cups unless it’s a hot tub.

Hey Melissa and belated Welcome !!!
we have nine children at home who use the pool at least twice a day.
We call 18 swimmers a day 'High bather load', double that when they are kids as there are two kinds of kids

1) kids that pee in the pool
2) liar liar pants on fire-s.

Kinda surprised you aren't going through close to a gallon a day from regular UV and a 2nd gallon from crazy (but awesome) use.

• Haha
Reactions: Brazillianguy
Hey Melissa and belated Welcome !!!

We call 18 swimmers a day 'High bather load', double that when they are kids as there are two kinds of kids

1) kids that pee in the pool
2) liar liar pants on fire-s.

Kinda surprised you aren't going through close to a gallon a day from regular UV and a 2nd gallon from crazy (but awesome) use.
😂😂😂Thanks again everyone. I am feeling such relief from the struggle with the permasalt system which ended up in a bright green pool. We do not have crystal clear water yet, but it’s getting there.

Reactions: Newdude
😂😂😂Thanks again everyone. I am feeling such relief from the struggle with the permasalt system which ended up in a bright green pool. We do not have crystal clear water yet, but it’s getting there.
If you are dealing with cloudy water or visible algae you need to do a SLAM Process. Is this a fresh fill?

You’re a great candidate for a salt water chlorine generator and variable speed pump. Filter and run 24/7 at low speed, generate chlorine all the time. Will really help keep your pool under control and cut down on needed chemicals immensely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are dealing with cloudy water or visible algae you need to do a SLAM Process. Is this a fresh fill?
Edit: i see you have another thread here
& were advised to do a SLAM Process. This involves maintaining SLAM level fc for your cya FC/CYA Levels
until u pass all 3 end of slam criteria.
2.5 quarts of 10% chlorine will only increase your fc by about 3ppm which is well under your slam level of 16.

Reactions: Newdude
You’re a great candidate for a salt water chlorine generator and variable speed pump. Filter and run 24/7 at low speed, generate chlorine all the time. Will really help keep your pool under control and cut down on needed chemicals immensely.
We would love that. Trouble is if we convert to a salt water chlorine generator it voids the lifetime guarantee on our pool.
Our water is looking great now though, with daily testing and two quarts or so of 10% bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.