Am I Crazy in OHIO, Garage Pool in winter?

KarenOHio

Aug 26, 2020
Columbus Ohio
20200825_133655[4660] jpeg.jpg

I have a 9x6x33in H, appx 1000 gal, Bestway Power Steel above ground pool in my garage, with a wall 2 point tether for perfect resistance swimming. It came with a 120 v, 330 GPH filter pump with 2 intake hose to "T" connector hose, 1 output hose, no valves. This summer runs 77-81 degrees, perfect for lap pool. Its in an attached fully insulated garage, thus lowest temps around 40 degrees in winter. I have a dehumidifier, air purifier with carbon filters and Delonghi oil radiator heater, all for cold, damp areas to 40 degrees. The pool is surrounded by a 10x10 tent to keep drywall dry and closed off for warmth, solar cover for evaporation (and have heavy tarp) and has 1/2 inch padding and 2 tarps under for some insulation. I can not find a Bestway 120v heater that can go with my low output filter, on backorder and not sure about supplies as fall approaches. One typical wall two plug outlet/surge protector and electrical box surge protector can handle this option. But I am willing to upgrade my filter and heater and possibly put in a 240v line. Saw FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Pool Heat Pump (good to 40 degrees), steep $1260 on Amazon and at least a 1200 to 1500 GPH pump needed too. Also, I would need better hoses, shut off valves, bypass valves but at least not an electrician as its a 120v. Can a novice like me put that kind of system together? Is this even doable for winter, and are there any less expensive options? Help Please!

Reactions: kellyfair
Welcome to the forum!
You might consider a tankless water heater. Indoors, small volume, low chemicals in water, etc may just work. Not sure if you little pump will push enough water through it to satisfy its pressure switch. So the bigger pump will still be needed, I suspect.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I admire your ingenuity!

What about a cheaper ready-made spa-style pack EasyPak 500 Pump-Top Mount Air Switch Spa Control Kit - 1 Pump & Blower ? You will have to mount it in your current plumbing and it probably has everything you need (flow switches, safeties, etc) included with the heater..... You can also order it to your own specs.

Of course, all the safety rules apply....... water and electricity do not mix!

We used to have a hot tub in the house. It came with the house. The previous owner recessed it into the floor during a renovation. With a good insulated cover we never had a need for a dehumidifier. You might see if the hot tub vendors have a cover that will fit your pool.

It's not so much a pump as a control for a hot tub. You (or a qualified electrician!) could probably wire it in and use your existing pump/filter with it as well as control the temperature and, perhaps, even a timer for when it is on/off.

Most spa heaters are designed to run with a minimal flow; they usually have a small pump running almost constantly to make sure it maintains temperature and/or does not freeze.

Yes, an insulated cover, its large so still haven't found a generic one large enough yet and not exactly inexpensive. Considering insulating the pool sides (and more underneath) and hoses too. Thank you. Too bad I cant use radiant heat in addition, would warm my garage too, but not as energy efficient as just heating the water, I expect. And yes, I see the wisdom of using a specialized electrician! Its just striking the right combo of equipment and as you said, ingenuity. :) Thank you!

Your not crazy. I am considering doing the same thing. I currently have an 18 foot rectangle (Bestway) in my yard which I absolutely love. I swam in it yesterday in my spring wets suit because it was so cold and dreary here in Chicago yesterday. It motivated me to go online and buy a 16x9 intex rectangle to put in my garage. I have been swimming tethered all summer and its become my covid fitness routine. I know getting a gym membership with a pool would be easier but that comes with risks. I have a kid in college who swims competitively so he would also use it when home end Nov to end Jan.

My garage is brick with windows and has floor drains. It has a flat roof so it stays warmer but Chicago winters are harsh. Are you only using the radiator heater to heat your garage? Has this been in your garage all summer long? I plan on wrapping mine with the silver insulation type bubble wrap, and making a pool cover out of the same material.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, an insulated cover, its large so still haven't found a generic one large enough yet and not exactly inexpensive. Considering insulating the pool sides (and more underneath) and hoses too. Thank you. Too bad I cant use radiant heat in addition, would warm my garage too, but not as energy efficient as just heating the water, I expect. And yes, I see the wisdom of using a specialized electrician! Its just striking the right combo of equipment and as you said, ingenuity. :) Thank you!

You can buy a solar cover and put it over the pool. They put that alone would help. Did your pool come with a cover? My Bestway came with a decent thick blue cover. If so I would put that on as well. I would also run a dehumidifier in the room. My bestway in my yard is 18x9x48. It was a fantastic set up all summer.

Unfortunately its to big for my garage. I bought an Intex rectangle for my garage. 16x8x42 rectangle. Just not sure where to start with this project. Heat is the issue my garage is brick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.