Aluminum Pool Wall Corrosion

Mar 22, 2018
Richmond
I discovered a problem when I was winterizing my 15x30 pool last fall. What appeared to be some kind of slimy substance on my aluminum pool wall turned out to be corrosion around my return jet. I assume I have a problem with galvanic action in my bonding system. My current system includes galvanized steel pool frame supports, copper bonding cable, brass water bonding fitting, pool heater, pump, SWG and an aluminum wall. I think I need an anode tied into the system some place. What type of anode do I need, and where do I put it?

Attachments

• Corrosion 1.jpg
    Corrosion 1.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 51
Aluminum doesn’t really corrode very easily unless it’s exposed to chemicals that would degrade the adherent aluminum oxide layer. Salt could damage aluminum if we’re crusted around the area and sat there for a while. Is that return fitting leaking at all?

You can’t use sacrificial anode techniques with aluminum and I doubt that would do anything to help. What you need to do is clean up that area, patch the metal with a material that’s designed to patch aluminum and then paint it with a protective coating.

You might pull the liner back in that area to see if there are any leaks between the liner and wall.

Reactions: Texas Splash
That wall is corrugated like a steel wall. I have only been aware of aluminum walled pools made of extruded aluminum panels, which would not have a reason to be corrugated.

Can you confirm a magnet does not stick to this pool wall?

I have confirmed that it is aluminum as it is non- magnetic. Yes, it is a salt water pool and the return fitting had been seeping a little last season so It looks like that is the likely culprit. I will clean it all up and reseal the metal. Thanks

Just to add what has been said,
It's my understanding galvanic corrosion only happens near dissimilar metals and they need to be electrically connected.

For example, if you had a copper pipe or stainless steel pipe connected directly to the aluminum wall metal to metal that would be bad. That PVC connection certainly isn't going to cause such an issue.

Out side of that I have no idea what's going on there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.