SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’m starting to get ready for opening next month. This year has thrown me for a loop with back issues.

I decided to go with Cal Hypo again for the initial opening SLAM (no issue with the added calcium). Finding fresh liquid chlorine can be a challenge around here and with my back issues I can’t run around town checking date codes.

Normally, I would pre-disolve cal hypo in a bucket and pour it around the pool. However, I can’t lift heavy buckets of water this year. Any suggestions for alternate ways to add cal hypo? Would broadcasting it work? I’m not concerned about the liner fading since it’s 17 years old and completely faded anyway.

Thanks. 😀

Last edited:
Tell me if this is stupid, but how about dissolving it in a bucket and using a cheap sump pump to get it into pool?

Sometimes I’ll just broadcast it into the deep end in front of the return and then immediately hit any undissolved stuff at the bottom with a brush. Max I will broadcast at a time is 2 pounds.

Put the calcium hypochlorite in a bucket dry and then use a hose to fill the bucket.

Mix and then tip to pour.

Refill with a hose and remix if necessary.

You can broadcast if you're not worried about bleaching the liner, but brush well after broadcasting.

Reactions: derekm and Saturn94
I appreciate the great ideas! 👍

Hopefully, by the time I open in a month, my back will be better (trying to avoid back surgery!) and opening will go easier than I‘m thinking. 🤞

I appreciate the great ideas! 👍

Hopefully, by the time I open in a month, my back will be better (trying to avoid back surgery!) and opening will go easier than I‘m thinking. 🤞
I went thought the same thing a few years back. PT worked for the severe pain, but I still have some issues.

Reactions: Saturn94
Put the calcium hypochlorite in a bucket dry and then use a hose to fill the bucket.

Mix and then tip to pour.

Refill with a hose and remix if necessary.

You can broadcast if you're not worried about bleaching the liner, but brush well after broadcasting.

We opened this week (I survived!) and wanted to let you know adding cal hypo the way you described worked great. As a matter if fact, by using a hose nozzle to spray into the bucket with the cal hypo it dissolved much faster. 👍

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.