Almost time again

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
PXL_20221117_231902224.jpg

I'm probably going to be draining a few inches below the return and draining the pump and filter this weekend. We're supposed to be constantly in the mid 30s during the day and low 20s at night for a while so I'm thinking it's time. Most of the leaves are down.

Same as last year I'm not covering and I'm leaving the stairs in just disconnected from the pool rail so they can move.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok so my plan is iffy now.

It's 32 out and windy. Pool is 36F.
Forecast is 16F tonight.

Oh boy.
The rest of the week is warming up with highs close to 50. I just need to make it through tonight.

Reactions: kimkats
My plan of attack is to close or at least cover before the leaves really dump. If water temps are too high I don’t fully close for another week but halloween is generally as late as I wait.
I have been bitten in the past waiting to fully winterize & had to do it quickly in freezing conditions, it cost me a swg.

My plan of attack is to close or at least cover before the leaves really dump. If water temps are too high I don’t fully close for another week but halloween is generally as late as I wait.
I have been bitten in the past waiting to fully winterize & had to do it quickly in freezing conditions, it cost me a swg.

How did it cost you a swg?
This morning when I left, it was 17F outside and the pool water was 33F.. Oh boy.

But, the sun is on it now and it's up to 27F out and climbing.

I'm sitting here debating leaving work early to go drain everything while it's in the 40s out before it plummets again tonight, but tomorrow and the rest of the week is supposed to be much warmer.

It was a perfect storm really…
I had the cover on (because leaves 🍁)
But was continuing to run the pool on a reduced schedule only at night incase of freezing temps which were few & short lived until that night. At that time I didn’t have an automatic cover pump & water had accumulated on the cover displacing some of the water inside the pool (unbeknownst to me). I hooked up a little pond pump to remove the water from the cover earlier in the day when the temp was mild, this then made the water level in the pool too low & when I came out about midnight I heard the pool pump cavitating & realized my folly. 😬
It was Christmas eve so I was doing alot of other things & just had to quickly unhook & drain everything, no time to let it all dry out then store it because of the sudden cold snap. Apparently there was still some water in my intex swg (old version) & it froze & cracked the housing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So..
The good news is the equipment is drained and the pool is drained a few inches below the return.

The scary news is I decided to take a sample of the pool water and put it in the freezer and keep swirling it around every 10 minutes to keep mixing it. I then used the same digital thermometer to see when the entire thing turned to slush.

It happened at 32.4F. The water was less than a degree away from buying the farm twice in the past week. We were 16F I think Monday or Tuesday morning.

What I don't know is how long 9000+ gallons would take to drop from 33.2f to 32.4f when it's about 20f outside.

But I know I got very close to a bad day.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
This can be a learn for a lot of people. Now what you can do for TFP is hang around and help others as they learn how to take care of their pools!

I'm not entirely sure where I went wrong yet.
We ended up with unusually cold weather for quite a while. That combined with work etc...

Maybe I'm too picky.
I want the water to stay good and cold and I want 99% of the leaves down before I shut down for the winter

Get a leaf net to put on top of your cover then you won’t care when they all fall because after they have all mostly fallen you can just dump it in about 5-10 minutes & put it back on- you also won’t have to fish them out of your pool/skimmer every day because the cover will already be on.
I cover when the water is 65 & falling with no sustained high temps in the forecast. Usually around Halloween. If I’m unsure about the temp projection I wait to lower the water & disconnect/winterize everything a week or so later adding more liquid chlorine at that time if necessary to bring back up to slam level. I keep the cover pumped off continuously so there isn’t a problem with water displacement as I mentioned earlier.
I raise to slam level for my cya before putting the cover on so there’s no concern about low fc or algae. I check the fc periodically throughout the closed season (especially if there are some unseasonably hot days/ a hot week) & can easily add a little more fc if necessary by opening the cover a little & using the brush or my submersible pump (this has never been needed). I have always opened to at least target fc levels for my cya in early April. This year at opening I had 15.5 ppm fc - I had closed the previous Halloween with 28ppm. At Christmas fc was 17.5 & it was 72 degrees outside. So basically I lost 2ppm from Christmas Day to April 5th.
My cya was 70 @ closing. We get wild temp swings here - tomorrow it will be 66 degrees but it was freezing all last week. Generally, so long as the night ambient temps are staying low the water temp doesn’t go back up once it gets below 60 degrees.

Get a leaf net to put on top of your cover then you won’t care when they all fall because after they have all mostly fallen you can just dump it in about 5-10 minutes & put it back on- you also won’t have to fish them out of your pool/skimmer every day because the cover will already be on.
I cover when the water is 65 & falling with no sustained high temps in the forecast. Usually around Halloween. If I’m unsure about the temp projection I wait to lower the water & disconnect/winterize everything a week or so later adding more liquid chlorine at that time if necessary to bring back up to slam level. I keep the cover pumped off continuously so there isn’t a problem with water displacement as I mentioned earlier.
I raise to slam level for my cya before putting the cover on so there’s no concern about low fc or algae. I check the fc periodically throughout the closed season (especially if there are some unseasonably hot days/ a hot week) & can easily add a little more fc if necessary by opening the cover a little & using the brush or my submersible pump (this has never been needed). I have always opened to at least target fc levels for my cya in early April. This year at opening I had 15.5 ppm fc - I had closed the previous Halloween with 28ppm. At Christmas fc was 17.5 & it was 72 degrees outside. So basically I lost 2ppm from Christmas Day to April 5th.
My cya was 70 @ closing. We get wild temp swings here - tomorrow it will be 66 degrees but it was freezing all last week. Generally, so long as the night ambient temps are staying low the water temp doesn’t go back up once it gets below 60 degrees.

I stopped using a cover.
Honestly it was far more trouble than what I've been dealing with even this year.

Ahhh, That makes more sense. I was trying to figure out why you were waiting for all the leaves 🍁 to drop when most are trying to close before they even start falling. Lol 😂
I don’t like only doing pool maintenance but not getting to enjoy the pool for much longer than a month so it would drive me batty without covering

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.