All Readings At Max On Test Strip

Waiting for my test kit I took another sample to another pool place. Here are their result using a new test method that utilizes light. They remove a 2.5" plastic disc from foil and using a syringe they fill the disc which has numerous chambers. The disk goes into a small machine connected to a computer. Here are the results. Different then the other test I have had in the last 2 weeks but yet the same in many ways:

TA 218
PH 7.7
TH 627
FC 11.7
TC 11.7
CYA 119

I have not added any chlorine in 10 days.

Any opinions?

Assuming both stores were somewhat accurate you still dropped 4 ppm in two days based on your post on the 18th. With your CYA and sun in your location that seems reasonable to me. Need that test kit for sure though. Those "they use a disk" tests were worse than the high school kid when I used a few stores briefly until settled into our new house.

Things are really looking up. Still no Taylor test kit. I ordered it from Amazon and the order was placed with Pool Supply Warehouse. Totally messed up the order and it was shipped to nowhere if you know what I mean. Called and cancelled and they reshipped the minute I cancelled it. No kit until July 1. I went to Leslie Pool and purchased one of theirs. Here are my readings now. We can now go into the pool.

FC 4
CH 400
CYA 90
TA 160
PH 7.6

Now to switch to the BBB method. While at Leslie another women was there with the same problem. Very high FC. She had not added any either. What can cause this issue?

Thank you

Should have bought the TF-100 ... you would certainly have has it by now, ships out of NC. ;)

Sorry the only way for the FC to be "high" {yours is not} is for you to add it to the pool. OR horrendous test accuracy courtesy of the pool store :D

I understand the test inaccuracy but three pool stores plus two different batches of test (Guess) strips confirmed the chlorine topping out at 15.77. No chlorine was added after shock treatment two weeks ago. (2 lbs. shock). We added no chlorine for 10 days after that. Just wondering what would cause this condition.

Thank you all

I can tell you want did not happen ... chlorine suddenly appeared.

It had to be added, by an automation system or a person in some form (tablet, liquid, granules, gas).

Seems more likely that the earlier tests were reporting the FC lower than reality after you added chlorine.
Note that most pool store testing maxes out at 10ppm. And the pink DPD chlorine matching test can actually get faded out by high FC levels and read lower than reality.

Thank you for your help. Got my Taylor kit today. It was shipped by Leslie Pool and branded as such even though I ordered the kit from Amazon.

First test tomorrow. Just finished pressure washing the coping and concrete surround. Looks great as does the water.

Ran my first couple of tests with the Taylor K-2006. Going to need a little practice. I ran a "guess" strip first to see what that showed to compare for the heck of it.

Here is the results from my first 4 tests on the Taylor:

PH 7.6
FC 6
TA 200
CYA No reading - I combined the water (7 ml) and the drops to 14ml. Added after shaking for 30 seconds to the small vile. The black spot disappeared after adding a quarter inch of fluid. What does that mean? So no reading.

The strips showed High FC, good TA, good PH and High CYA.

Still weird on the high chlorine. All we did was add three pucks about 4 days ago. We did not shock. Pool looks stupendous.

A women at the pool store had the same thing happening. Adding very little Chlorine but getting high reads for days after.

Is it safe to swim at FC 6?

Thank you

If the black dot disappears with very little of the mixture added (below the 100 line?) Then you CYA is well above 100ppm and you need to replace water to get it down.

And all the tablets you keep adding are adding more and more CYA.

With the high CYA, it may not be safe to swim with a FC of 6ppm ... and not for the reason you think. 6ppm is likely actually too LOW to have the water safely sanitized. See the FC/CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ran my first couple of tests with the Taylor K-2006. Going to need a little practice. I ran a "guess" strip first to see what that showed to compare for the heck of it.

Here is the results from my first 4 tests on the Taylor:

PH 7.6
FC 6
TA 200
CYA No reading - I combined the water (7 ml) and the drops to 14ml. Added after shaking for 30 seconds to the small vile. The black spot disappeared after adding a quarter inch of fluid. What does that mean? So no reading.

The strips showed High FC, good TA, good PH and High CYA.

Still weird on the high chlorine. All we did was add three pucks about 4 days ago. We did not shock. Pool looks stupendous.

A women at the pool store had the same thing happening. Adding very little Chlorine but getting high reads for days after.

Is it safe to swim at FC 6?

Thank you

Toolfriend: I think you can clearly see how inaccurate the pool store and test strip methods are. It would do you best to throw away the test strips. Also, forget any advice on what high or low means for any measurement, unless you are following the advice on this site. Using test strips or pool store testing 'just for the heck of it' will only confuse you further. The questions you continue to ask show that you don't yet have a clear understanding of our methods or pool chemistry. It's ok, we have all been there and have felt overwhelmed. Keep asking questions, follow the advice on this site, and keep an open mind. Well, don't keep an open mind at the pool store. Close you mind off when you enter their doors.

To answer your question about the high chlorine: I would guess that your CYA levels are off the charts high (makes you wonder why the first pool store failed to disclose that level) and those super high CYA levels are causing you to loose very little amounts of chlorine. That, coupled with inaccurate testing, explains perfectly the situation you found yourself in. What was coming next was the pool store selling lots of chemicals, then magically discovering that your CYA levels were too high and you would need a partial drain and re-fill.

It sounds like the drain and re-fill are still in your future, but accurate testing will save you from adding unnecessary chemicals first.

TF I feel your pain, as I was getting conflicting info from pool store, pool builder, etc, all had a given # for FC, without taking into fact the CYA. Once I understood the relationship with FC and CYA, I had no problems and no fear of swimming in 'high' FC. Have a neighbor who kept saying gotta keep Chlorine at 2, that's all he focused on and he had tablets, bottles, some of everything the pool store sells.
Now he buys bleach and CYA, that's about it, saving tons of money. Pool store tells you to shock once a week, without explaining why. Just buy chemicals and do it. HEre, you don't have to, because you know you have accurate readings every single time. And if it doesn't look right? Do it again.

I'm color blind so PH is left up to my wife to measure :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.