Alkalinity won't go down...

My pool, at 70 ppm CYA, I peak at about 4.5 to 5 ppm FC loss per day.

I believe you will want at least 50 ppm CYA. Much higher does not do that much more good unless you have a SWCG.

Over a month since i got started on this pool and it's been a piece of cake once my chemistry got in order. I've only been adding chlorine every night and MA every 5 to 6 days when PH gets to 8. The only other thing I've done is increased my CYA to 50.

My FC loss has been super predictable. On a full sun day, i can bet it lost 2ppm. If a little cloudy, it'll be 1.5. Admittedly there have been nights where it got late and i just added chlorine without testing...but the next evening, it was exactly where i predicted it would be based on the consistent FC loss. I know the predictability changes with the weather and I'll have to relearn the pool's needs but as of right now, it seems too easy. I'm waiting for the pool to turn green or start growing swamp monsters to prove me wrong.

I'm waiting for the pool to turn green or start growing swamp monsters to prove me wrong.
LOL, nope, no such luck. You're over the learning hump and now it's predictable and you know it's appetite for chlorine. You have entered into the realm of a "boring" pool!! Not really, but you can feel more secure in skipping a day of testing and just adding what the pool needs. Great job so far.

LOL, nope, no such luck. You're over the learning hump and now it's predictable and you know it's appetite for chlorine. You have entered into the realm of a "boring" pool!! Not really, but you can feel more secure in skipping a day of testing and just adding what the pool needs. Great job so far.
Yup. Just don't get cocky and skip testing for several days in a row, and once swimming starts you'll need to learn your pool's appetite for chlorine after swimmers, too.

Reactions: Sunnydaze
Well....6 months later and still a boring pool. No cloudiness, no algae. It's just too easy. Friend's pool has turned green twice (that I know of) this swim season. Other friend had his first pool this summer and is ready to fill it in with dirt. Both are blaming their issues on the same monsoon storms my pool went through. Both use the pool store. What's the common denominator? 😅

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.