alkalinity trouble

Jun 14, 2015
Petersburg IN
My pool has been doing great this year. We were away since Friday and I left my grandson to keep an eye on things. We got in late last night and this morning the pool looked great. I ran a sample and the ph and chlorine were right where they should be. Then I ran a sample on the alkalinity. I put in 2 drops of 007 as always and when I added 5 drops of 008 I thought the green color looked a little lighter than normal. I began adding drops of 009 and instead of doing what it should after about 6 or 7 drops the sample began turning aqua blue and around 15 drops began turning yellow/gold. I have the stirring device I got with my kit.

My sample supplies are from last summer but they are stored indoors in a cool place and all my samples have been fine until now. I have a second set of each bottle that I had not used yet and those gave the same results. I checked my cya before our trip and it was fine.

I have my wife ready to go the the pool store for a second opinion, I am totally baffled.

From Pool School - Extended Testing Directions.
Continue adding drops until the color changes to something more or less red, pink, yellow, or clear. The sample may switch between green, blue, and gray while you are adding drops. That is not the color change you are waiting for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.