Alkalinity quite low, PH holding nice and steady at 7.7

trow28

Sep 21, 2017
Springtown, TX
Hi all,

I have a similar problem (or maybe it isn't a problem) as JoeCooler in previous post. Purchased a new tub, SWG, 500 gal. Got my salt adjusted, calcium in line (150ish), and some stabalizer (put enough in to get to 30 but my test kit doesn't go that low so assuming it's good).

First two weeks with the tub, struggled with PH/Alk balance. Initial PH was like 8.2. Brought it down to 7.8 with MA but it caused my Alk to go down to 25. So added baking soda, Alk went up to 60 but PH went right back to 8.2 the next day. I did the same adjustments a few times over the first two weeks, same results.

So I know that PH tends to "seek" Alk so I decided to let it go with an Alk of 25 and see what happens. After a week, Alk came up to 35 and PH came down to 7.7. I've tested once a week for past 3 weeks and it has held steady at 35 and 7.7.

Right now:

FC 4
CC 0.5
CYA 30 (I think)
Salt 2400
CH 150
Alk 35
PH 7.7

Using Taylor K-2006

On to my questions:

My PH/Alk seems to have come to a balance point, but is this okay with the Alk being so low?

Pretty much all hot tub water chemistry advice on line says that low Alk "Causes wild PH bouncing" (not seeing that at all) and also low Alk will "cause corrosion of metallic parts like heater and SWG plates." Are they saying that it causes corrosion because the PH is all over the place or that the lack of Alk in the water causes the corrosion?

Thanks in advance!

Low Alk can casue pH to drop below 7. pH below 7 is acidic and causes damage. It is the low pH caused by the low Alk that does the damage.

If your pH stays in the high 7's with low Alk then all is good. If your pH gets below 7.2 with low Alk then you may need to take it up a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.