Alkalinity High = High Chlorine?

Patsy B

Jul 12, 2020
Orlando/FL
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello I have the TF-100 Test Kit. Purchased it around a year ago. When I tested my chlorine with the small daily kit it showed a 2 and the more extensive kit with the R-0870 (powder looks like moisture got in) indicates the same. So I had taken my water to two different pool stores for analysis who both had the same results:
FC 10
PH 7.8
Alkalinity 175
Hardness 400
CYA 100

They said my chlorine is too high, wait 24 hours retest and the Alkalinity is high to add 4 cups of MA but split between 3 treatments.

First of all the pool company informed my that the test kits only have a shelf life of 6 months? Is this correct?

Also doesn't the Alkalinity/PH go up when the Chlorine is high? and should go down as Chlorine lowers?

Thanks for any input.

If you purchased the TF100 last year and it was kept in a climate controlled area, the reagents are still good.

Post a complete set of test results from your kit.

Also doesn't the Alkalinity/PH go up when the Chlorine is high? and should go down as Chlorine lowers?
No. FC has no effect on TA nor pH overall.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

As Marty said it use your own testing as guidance. We await your own testing results. You have a chlorinator so the high CYA is a possibility which can make the chlorine ineffective and by the way though CYA of 100 isn't recommended the target FC would be 11-13.

As Marty said it use your own testing as guidance. We await your own testing results. You have a chlorinator so the high CYA is a possibility which can make the chlorine ineffective and by the way though CYA of 100 isn't recommended the target FC would be 11-13.
I'm embarrassed, I was using the incorrect chemical. It was the other that comes in the kit in a yellow top. My neighbor (landlord) pointed that out. The results that I encounter now are the same as the pool company test. I have added acid and everything looks good so far. Thank you :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.