Alk at 40, PH stable at 7.6--would you raise TA? TA testing question?

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Hello Folks,

I changed my water several weeks ago. I used muriatic acid to bring down the PH over a couple days but my Alk got down to 40 before my PH became stable at 7.6 using Taylor test. The PH has been stable at 7.6 for a couple of weeks. Would you raise the Alk or is 40 OK.

Just to clarify, using the Taylor Alk test, the solution turned red at 3 drops but a brighter red at 4 drops. No change at 5 drops. Is my Alk at 40 or 30?

Thank you! Doug

Last edited:
I just had the same situation, but adjusted my TA back up from 40 (you can look in my PoolMath logs) and then my pH shot back up to above 8.

I would just leave it if I was you. I would rather have a stable pH.

Reactions: duganderson
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Oh.....I'm happy! :giggle: My outdoor hot tub has been a welcome source of joy and relaxation despite the below 0 temperatures here in Minnesota!!!!

I found your thread after posting nearly the same question (my alk is 40 and my ph is 7.8). I am curious though, do you have any special method you use to enjoy the spa at 0degree temps? I find I dont enjoy it below high 20's. What temp do you have to set in your spa to make it comfortable at such low temps?? Anything else you do?

Many people don't like the tub at 104 degrees and/or sub freezing soaks. I loved it but did have to keep my shoulders under when it was well under 32. If it was really cold or a blizzard, i needed a hat.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I found your thread after posting nearly the same question (my alk is 40 and my ph is 7.8). I am curious though, do you have any special method you use to enjoy the spa at 0degree temps? I find I dont enjoy it below high 20's. What temp do you have to set in your spa to make it comfortable at such low temps?? Anything else you do?

No....I don't do anything special at low temps. I get in and out as quickly as possible, but interestingly, I don't think you get as cold getting out as you'd expect because you have the warm water on your body getting out so that seems to help. I tend to run the temps between 102-104.

+1. I never had a problem getting out and stood there a good 5 mins being some steam emitting superhero.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_542_Textless.jpg

The towel was my cape. :ROFLMAO:

I always got out thinking I needed to run to the house but was sweating so much I stood there a good deal drying off to not bring puddles in the house. At that point I amused myself with my newfound super powers to pass the time. Behold !!!! SteamMan !!!!! :laughblue:

It's not so much the getting out, I am usually in the tub like an hour at least, around 100F. Maybe I have it set too low for 20's. My issue is my head, my hair gets wet from the steam and then I feel like I am outside in the cold with a wet head. Plus even my neck feels cold even though I try to keep my chin in the water. Forget it if there is any wind at all, then I am miserable. If i see more than 2-3mph winds on my weather station, i dont bother.

Reactions: newdude
When nighttime temps are below 25F I bump my tub up to 103F.

I don't find it cold when I am in the tub, maybe it is the heat coming off the water that keeps my head warm. I do find that I have to stay in at least 15 minutes in order to not be cold when I get out. After 15 min it warms me up enough that the cold is not bad when I get out. It gives me enough time to dry off and put on a robe.

I messed up the schedule on my tub recently and we went out in the high 20's to soak, and the tub was 96F - That was not comfortable.

When nighttime temps are below 25F I bump my tub up to 103F.

I don't find it cold when I am in the tub, maybe it is the heat coming off the water that keeps my head warm. I do find that I have to stay in at least 15 minutes in order to not be cold when I get out. After 15 min it warms me up enough that the cold is not bad when I get out. It gives me enough time to dry off and put on a robe.

I messed up the schedule on my tub recently and we went out in the high 20's to soak, and the tub was 96F - That was not comfortable.

One of the downsides of a 2000gallon swim spa is temp changes take hours. I usually leave it around 99-100F but if I forget to bump it up hours before going in, its never going to raise much. It probably takes 3 hours to go from 99 to 102F. I've been bringing out a head towel to dry off my head which seems to help, I also tried wearing a ski hat which helps but it gets wet from the steam and i have to keep it above my ears to not get wet as I am trying to keep my chin in the water.

Regarding staying in the tub 15 minutes, I usually stay at least an hour, partly because I dont want to get out and deal with getting cold. I dont have a deck yet around my spa so I have to use a ladder and its slow going to get out and get a robe on while standing on a ladder, once the deck is installed that should help a lot i think. It feels so good to have the body temperature raised from sitting in the hot tub at even just 99-100F. Its mind blowing how much healthier I feel for a couple hours after getting out.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.