Algaecide question

georgiamike

Bronze Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Saint Marys, GA
I’d like to know what this Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide + Clarifier I’ve added will do to my chlorine and pH readings in the future.

That said, I’ve been practicing TFP methods for close to 20 years, never adding shock or other chemicals less the usual stuff for maintenance and SLAMMING. However, due to an illness, travel requirements and time restrictions, etc., I’ve put this stuff in to try and head off the inevitable algae blooms because I’ve not been able to maintain the pool correctly.

So I added a whole 128 oz bottle on Sunday, 12 Jan per the instructions for initial treatment. Then had a friend at 42 oz upkeep dose on Sunday, 19 Jan. Now I’m back in town and was going to add another 42 oz today before leaving again, but thought I’d take a minute and ask my question first.

The active ingredients are: Poly(oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) 6.0%. Other ingredients 94%.

My pH today is 7.2, TC 19, TA 80, CH 350, temp 55, salt 3,000, CYA 60. Water is clear and cold. I’ve got a TF-100 test kit and the small Taylor CH and pH drop test kit. Pool is 17,200 SWG in-ground gunite, 19 years old.

First question, will my chlorine readings always be elevated because of this stuff? Or did my chlorinator just work a little too well while I was out of town.

Second, until I get my health and life back to normal, can I continue to add this stuff without any real harm to my readings or otherwise? Not too worry about my wallet at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. It seems odd to me to just randomly add algecide and clarifier after following TFP for 20 years as you stated.

I would think the main thing you would want to worry about is chlorine. Since you have a SWCG, I assume that is easy to manage in the warmer months. Until then, your CYA is a bit low, so why not just use a floater with trichlor? I have a floater going in mine now with 3 tabs, and the tabs take about a month to fully dissolve. They have been maintaining my FC levels, with sporadic days when the SWCG is warm enough to work. Besides testing and replacing the tabs in the floater once a month, I really havent had to do anything to my pool this winter.

In general TFP does not recommend the use of algaecides for regular pool care. If you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio in your pool water algae will not take hold.

Using algaecide regularly masks the fact that the pool water is not safe to swim. Chlorine serves both as an algaecide and a sanitizer. If you get algae, your chlorine level is too low for swimming because there isn’t enough to prevent the transfer of pathogens. No amount of algaecide will make the water safe even if it keeps the water crystal clear. This is the fundamental reason we don’t recommend regular algaecide use during swimming season.

Algaecides are used as a preventive treatment either at winter closing or specific processes like Ascorbic Acid treatments when the FC level must be low.

Many algaecides contain chemicals that are not desirable in pool water. As algaecides go Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide + Clarifier chemicals are ok to use. The MSDS - http://media.lifeandhome.com/media/downloads/21565/43010877_MSDS.pdf - says it has two ingredients:

- Poly[oxy-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethyliminio)-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethyliminio)-1,2-ethanediyl dichloride - 6% - otherwise known as Polyquat
- Sodium tetraborate decahydrate - < 0.3% - otherwise known as Borax

We recommend Polyquat be used in closing pools for the winter. There the dose is about 10X what the Clorox Product has. You can read more about Polyquat in Algaecide - Further Reading

I don't think those chemicals at those doses will do much to prevent algae but it will lighten your wallet and contribute to Clorox profits. You will be better off in spending your money on liquid chlorine and maintaining an adequate FC level. following the FC/CYA Levels.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Based on the MSDS, I'm not so sure that is the best algaecide to use. Someone like @JoyfulNoise or @Donldson can confirm my suspicion about that brand. If you have to use an algaecide, look for one with the following on the ingredients: Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.

Am I reading your chlorine correctly - 19? So it did spike a bit. In cold water and chlorine that high, I doubt you'll have algae to worry about for a while. Along with JJ's tab idea, have you considered just having a friend add a little bleach every few days while you're away? At 55 degrees, you may not need to add bleach for a week or more, but it's another alternative if your SWG isn't working due to the chilly water. Plus they can check the skimmer for debris.

Thanks to those who chimed in. This will be my last post to the site since my health issues have worsened. However, for anyone who stumbles on this thread, I did continue with adding the 42 ounces of the Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide + Clarifier weekly which I started in Jan 2020, just about 3 months ago. The maintenance dose was 42 ounces per week and I have to say, the pool looks just great. So should anyone find themselves in a declining health and/or time position, this may be an answer for you as well. Good luck all and thanks. Stay well.

• Sad
Reactions: wireform and JJ_Tex
This will be my last post to the site since my health issues have worsened.
Really sorry to hear that. I sure hope you stick around and find time to say hello to us from time to time. Let us know how the pool looks as well throughout the seasons. Get well and stay that way. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.