Algaecide and getting rid of Algae in Pool, most effective and economical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My statement about (perhaps) changing the water every couple years was solely related to the concept of controlling exceedingly high CH levels. Some in the SW with really hard water simply can't avoid it depending on the CH content of their fill water and refills due to evaporation. For those who must change some water to control CH, naturally other products would be removed as well. But in general, water doesn't go bad or arbitrarily need to be changed.

Who is "Tex".....Texas Splash? I don't believe he said that. It is absolutely not true.

You do not have a grasp of the intent of chlorine and how it is made effective in your pool. Dosing a little chlorine in before you swim is silly. You must maintain a residual chlorine level to protect your pool and keep it algae free.

Yes, Tex = Texas Splash, JR = Jonnyrockt, Mike = MikeSTL, donaldson = dnldson, but if someone writes Dura, I don't know, it might be Duralast batteries! =) BTW, He did write that as a reference to CH.

No it doesn't. It is an effective "preventer" of algae before it gets established..........it has nothing to do with "nice" and that makes me unsure of what you think it is that algaecides do

I do have a good grasp of what chlorine and algaecides do, but welcome to your opinion.

Sorry, but that's silly again. Teaching you what not to do is akin to teaching you NOT to read.
We teach what we know works for a scientific fact and is anecdotally proven over 12-15 years in hundreds of thousands of pools. That you feel you have better ideas is not pertinent to our goal because 1) the ideas you express are worse, not better and 2) TFP is not the place to argue about it. We teach what we know works......it is not our mission to teach (and discuss) what DOESN'T work

I don't think it's silly. I guess we fundamentally disagree then on what a forum is about. I read articles about what not to do and why you shouldn't do it all the time. I guess by that logic, we should just blindly do what people say without question.

Last edited:
I don't think it's silly. I guess we fundamentally disagree then on what a forum is about. I read articles about what not to do and why you shouldn't do it all the time. I guess by that logic, we should just blindly do what people say without question.
Um, you don't get to decide what TFP is about. Given that the person you are replying to created TFP, I think maybe he has a better grasp on what this forum is and is not about. And what it is about is Trouble Free Pool Care. Not free discussion of any and all pool care ideas. TFP is not obligated to give a platform to anybody to share their alternative ideas. Given how much awful information is out there on forums that do allow everyone a voice, I think it is a fantastic benefit of this site.

Well if that's the case, it is my mistake then, because I thought TFP was for the non-pool pros. I'm not trying to redefine anything. I pretty much did get good advice so far from people. And I figure other people might be in the same boat, read the same thing and they might be wondering the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.