May 10, 2021
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP!

I noticed a little bit of fluorescent green on the walls of the pool today. I brushed. Vacuumed. Cleaned filter. I’ve been keeping my chlorine levels in check, or so I thought. PH has been low, been trying to aerate to bring it up. Not sure why this is happening. I will do oclt tonight…do I need to slam either way of I’m seeing green on the walls? Water is crystal clear.

Hey Steph,
Sorry to say, but Looking at your poolmath logs it seems you have fallen below minimum fc for your cya several times FC/CYA Levels, that combined with the visible algae = SLAM Process time. You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm your suspicions or just get to slammin’.

Hey Steph,
Sorry to say, but Looking at your poolmath logs it seems you have fallen below minimum fc for your cya several times FC/CYA Levels, that combined with the visible algae = SLAM Process time. You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm your suspicions or just get to slammin’.
Darn it! I guess I’ve been slacking. Is there any fool proof way to add a little liquid chlorine daily? Pretty sure the chlorinator is just for tabs... correct? My brain was not considering that a higher cya needs higher Fc.

You can get a liquid doser (stenner) or a salt water chlorine generator to dose for you. Other than that you need to ensure that you dose high enough (high target 🎯 or a scootch above) so that your fc doesn’t fall below minimum before your next dose. Always Riding minimum is a recipe for algae if any variables come into play.

Reactions: Newdude
I passed the oclt. Do I not slam?
Looking at your Poolmath logs, it looks like your OCLT FC level hoovered right around 5.5 for about 6 hours correct? So if I'm reading that correctly, and your FC testing was spot-on, then passing the OCLT would seem to rule out the need to SLAM (at this time) as long as you are not seeing any more green. Not sure if you got extremely lucky to catch that odd green color when you did, or if it was related to something else. :scratch: But if it were me, I would increase the FC a bit more for today. I'd keep the FC around 7-8 ppm and be sure to not let it fall below 5, then monitor the water closely. If anything seems odd, do another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or just go right into a SLAM Process.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at your Poolmath logs, it looks like your OCLT FC level hoovered right around 5.5 for about 6 hours correct? So if I'm reading that correctly, and your FC testing was spot-on, then passing the OCLT would seem to rule out the need to SLAM (at this time) as long as you are not seeing any more green. Not sure if you got extremely lucky to catch that odd green color when you did, or if it was related to something else. :scratch: But if it were me, I would increase the FC a bit more for today. I'd keep the FC around 7-8 ppm and be sure to not let it fall below 5, then monitor the water closely. If anything seems odd, do another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or just go right into a SLAM Process.
So I’m still seeing some green.
B6E437B2-68DE-4043-9D61-52BF87F062FB.jpeg
I had a busy day with kids yesterday and didn’t add chlorine. This morning I was at:
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 40
CYA50
Temp: 68°

I added chlorine and will be sure to maintain a higher FC of 8 through the weekend. It’s been almost a week now that I come out and see some green spots. Is it safe to vacuum again. Brush walls. Clean filter and keep watching?

why wouldn’t it be ok to vacuum?
Definitely raise to at least high target 🎯 or you can go straight to SLAM Process & put this to rest. It seems you are just keeping this at bay.
Is it always in the same spot or in random places?

why wouldn’t it be ok to vacuum?
Definitely raise to at least high target 🎯 or you can go straight to SLAM Process & put this to rest. It seems you are just keeping this at bay.
Is it always in the same spot or in random places?
It’s mostly in the same spot. But also seeing it in other random spots now. Of course I understand it’s ok to vacuum…just wondering if it’s ok to JUST vacuum brush and clean filter or if I should go ahead and SLAM. Previous suggestions said if I passed oclt than I didn’t need to slam. Will I be able to get rid of it by doing those things and keeping the FC at a higher level of 8 or will I just be keeping it at bay as you said?

Just making sure no one told you you shouldn’t vac- we hear crazy recommendations sometimes!
If it is showing up in multiple places then it’s not just a symptom of poor circulation in one particular spot which would mean you are barely keeping it at bay. The general rule is if you see visible algae it’s SLAM Process time whether you pass the oclt or not.
As mentioned in the slam article -

Just making sure no one told you you shouldn’t vac- we hear crazy recommendations sometimes!
If it is showing up in multiple places then it’s not just a symptom of poor circulation in one particular spot which would mean you are barely keeping it at bay. The general rule is if you see visible algae it’s SLAM Process time whether you pass the oclt or not.
As mentioned in the slam article -
Ok. I’m slamming now. Do I still stop the SLAM when I pass the OCLT?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.