Algae worse than usual due to broken pump at opening

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened up our pool 8 days ago and have been unable to start a SLAM for a week due to a broken pump. We now have a new variable speed pump and are ready to start a SLAM. Water is now dark green since the cover has been off for a week and the temperatures have been in the 80s all week. We always have to do a SLAM at opening because of our mesh cover, but I've never done a SLAM before when the water was this green. Before I start a SLAM, I have a few questions:

1. Since the water is dark green, should I run the pump on recirculate the first evening or two when I’m not going to be around to backwash the sand filter? Is there any harm in running the pump on recirculate for 12 hours the first night? 

2. Since the pump needs to run for 24 straight hours in order to get accurate test results, should I add liquid chlorine during that time or would it be a waste of money to add some since the CYA is likely below 30? (CYA was 40 at closing and I drained water out 4 times over the winter/spring so it is likely below 30 now and may even be 0). 

3. Since CYA is likely to be well below 30 and may even be 0, is there any harm in adding dichlor shock during the first 24 hours to increase the CYA some? Or should I avoid doing this since I cannot get an accurate PH reading during the first 24 hours?

(I do not have a heater to protect BTW.) Once I've run the pump for 24 hours and have tested my water, could I start off the SLAM with Dichlor to raise up the CYA if the PH is high like it usually is at opening?
4. What speed should I run my new variable speed pump on during the SLAM? There is nothing in the manual that talks about what speed to use when shocking your pool. 

5. Since I cannot see the bottom of the pool to tell if there are any leaves, dead critters, or debris on the bottom of the pool, I'm hesitant to vacuum up the pool blindly. Can we get this pool to clear up enough to see the bottom without vacuuming to waste initially? We got a bunch of leaves out using a net but we have no idea if we got them all out or not. We’ve got a lot of trees near the pool and the pool has been uncovered for a week so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some leaves on the bottom of the pool. I worry that there could be some dead mice or other critters down there too since our pool backs to a farm and the pool has been uncovered for a week while waiting for a new pump.

We opened up our pool 8 days ago and have been unable to start a SLAM for a week due to a broken pump. We now have a new variable speed pump and are ready to start a SLAM. Water is now dark green since the cover has been off for a week and the temperatures have been in the 80s all week. We always have to do a SLAM at opening because of our mesh cover, but I've never done a SLAM before when the water was this green. Before I start a SLAM, I have a few questions:

1. Since the water is dark green, should I run the pump on recirculate the first evening or two when I’m not going to be around to backwash the sand filter? Is there any harm in running the pump on recirculate for 12 hours the first night? 

No harm in running in recirculate.

2. Since the pump needs to run for 24 straight hours in order to get accurate test results, should I add liquid chlorine during that time or would it be a waste of money to add some since the CYA is likely below 30? (CYA was 40 at closing and I drained water out 4 times over the winter/spring so it is likely below 30 now and may even be 0). 

Follow the process.

Run the pump for 24 hours.

Get your baseline test results.

See what your CYA level is and go from there.

3. Since CYA is likely to be well below 30 and may even be 0, is there any harm in adding dichlor shock during the first 24 hours to increase the CYA some? Or should I avoid doing this since I cannot get an accurate PH reading during the first 24 hours?

(I do not have a heater to protect BTW.) Once I've run the pump for 24 hours and have tested my water, could I start off the SLAM with Dichlor to raise up the CYA if the PH is high like it usually is at opening?

Follow the process and don't start freelancing.

4. What speed should I run my new variable speed pump on during the SLAM? There is nothing in the manual that talks about what speed to use when shocking your pool. 

What model pump are we discussing?

5. Since I cannot see the bottom of the pool to tell if there are any leaves, dead critters, or debris on the bottom of the pool, I'm hesitant to vacuum up the pool blindly. Can we get this pool to clear up enough to see the bottom without vacuuming to waste initially? We got a bunch of leaves out using a net but we have no idea if we got them all out or not. We’ve got a lot of trees near the pool and the pool has been uncovered for a week so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some leaves on the bottom of the pool. I worry that there could be some dead mice or other critters down there too since our pool backs to a farm and the pool has been uncovered for a week while waiting for a new pump.

You may have to vacuum or net the pool blind.

See how the water clears up once you get the SLAM process going.

No harm in running in recirculate.

Follow the process.

Run the pump for 24 hours.

Get your baseline test results.

See what your CYA level is and go from there.

Follow the process and don't start freelancing.

What model pump are we discussing?

You may have to vacuum or net the pool blind.

See how the water clears up once you get the SLAM process going.
Thanks for answering my questions. The pump is a Pentair Whisperflo variable speed pump. The manual doesn't mention anything about speeds when shocking your pool. Our last pump was a single speed one so this is all new to me.

If we went ahead and vacuumed to waste blindly, could we potentially suck something up that could clog the lines under the pool? We used to hire a pool service to open up our pool who would use something that looked like a shop vac to vacuum up our pool blindly, but we don't have anything like that to use.

Is there any harm in adding some liquid chlorine to the pool while we wait 24 hours in order to get accurate test results or would this be a waste of money? Liquid chlorine is $6 a gallon now so I don't want to add any if it would be a waste of money since CYA is likely below 30 and may even be 0.

Thanks for answering my questions. The pump is a Pentair Whisperflo variable speed pump. The manual doesn't mention anything about speeds when shocking your pool. Our last pump was a single speed one so this is all new to me.

You want to have good pool circulation so a speed of 2400 rpm should work.

If we went ahead and vacuumed to waste blindly, could we potentially suck something up that could clog the lines under the pool? We used to hire a pool service to open up our pool who would use something that looked like a shop vac to vacuum up our pool blindly, but we don't have anything like that to use.

Always a possibility which is why I don't like vacuuming to a pool filter in general.

But you have to use the tools you got.

Like I said, wait a bit and see how the pool water clears.

Is there any harm in adding some liquid chlorine to the pool while we wait 24 hours in order to get accurate test results or would this be a waste of money? Liquid chlorine is $6 a gallon now so I don't want to add any if it would be a waste of money since CYA is likely below 30 and may even be 0.

No harm but why the rush?

Reactions: poolnewbie4