Algae won't clear

sonoman

Dec 27, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
I can't get rid of algae on the walls and bottom of my pool. Water is clear...until i sweep down the sides.

FC is off the charts high. More yellow than the highest color
PH is 7.6-7.8
TA is 90
CH is 270
CY was tested at pool store at 100. I haven't been able to check with my kit but with the high FC I don't think it is a problem

I cleaned my DE filter a month ago and I have used PhosFree

The pool is not overly warm. I haven't checked but my solar heater is off and by touch it is chilly...maybe around 70.

Why do I keep getting green algae on the pool walls? The FC should kill it off

thanks

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Thanks, Marty

I read the SLAM process. My CC looks off the charts so woudl I put more liquid chlorine in? That seems counter intuitive.

My Taylor K2006 test kit wouldn't turn clear after 25 drops so I quit. The reagents are old...could they have aged out? I didn't continue because it seemed pointless to put a whole bottle of reagent into the vial.

I also need to re-check my CYA level...the pool place said 100 but I don't believe it, first because it was the pool store and second because it usually dilutes out during the winter rainy season and I haven't added any

How do i get my pH down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.