algae treatment while awaiting reagents - did new safety cover cause this?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I always open with clean water, except for this year. Opened with algae floating and on walls. Not a swamp fortunately but not what I was expecting. I'm not sure if it's because I ran out of reagents at the end of the season and my chems were off (my chems are usually pretty consistent throughout the season so I didn't worry) or if it's the new safety cover.

The old cover was solid green. The pool store told us we could go with a lighter one since we don't have trees or animals. We chose a blue one which is less depressing when we look outside. It looks like it not only attracts more bird poop, but it let's in more light hence more prone to algae? We always open towards end of May without problems. I guess we have to start opening earlier now?

I won't have new reagents for my Taylor K-2006 kit for about a week (getting shipped from US), so I am stuck using the pool store for now. What is my best approach until I can do a proper SLAM? I poured in a 2 gallon jug of 12% chlorine yesterday which killed some of it but I know it won't last. Any advise?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.