Charleston, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here, please be gentle :)

Quick bacakstory:
Got a small Intex Easy Set pool this spring (15'x48") with the 1000gph pump. Did not know a thing about the TFP method, so used pucks in a float and added stabilizer until test strips read "normal". Sigh....

All seemed great until a couple weeks ago when the pool turned green. So added some shock (1 lb cal hypo) and waited. Got noticeably worse (darker green plus cloudy, couldn't see the bottom).

Found TFP - immediately pulled the float and pucks and ordered a TF-100. While waiting for the test kit I added a gallon of 10% Liquid Chlorine each day (3 gallons total). Pool went from green to blue, but still very cloudy. Brushed/vacuumed several times a day (I have a rechargeable vac).

Enter the TF-100. My first test readings were CYA=120, FC=45, TA=140, CC=1, CH=100. Did not test Ph due to the high FC.

I maintained that FC for a couple of days until I passed the OCLT (<1ppm FC loss, and 0 CC).

At this point I decided to partially drain to try and lower my CYA. So I drained about 1/3 and refilled with help from a massive thunderstorm. Next CYA test was 70 - manageable, I figured.

Ok, so all caught up on the story.

Today's test readings:
FC = 19 (last night was 19 also)
CYA = 70
CC=0
TA=100
CH=75

The problem now is that the pool just will not clear. I can see the bottom, the Intex pattern is visible, but it isn't CLEAR, clear. It's hazy and has been for a week. I no longer see much dust poof up when I brush, it's relatively free of debris, I skim everything from the surface at least 10 times a day, and I vacuum at least twice a day. The pool appears clean, just not totally clear.

What am I missing?? I've been swapping out the paper filter twice a day - it's collects a little bit of dirt but not much. There is some dirt directly under the return port that I vacuum up each time. Is there still maybe a bit of algae? Should I slam it again?

Any help is welcome :) Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: One problem is that those factory Intex cart filters are limited in size, capacity, and filtration. You'll need to rinse it off quite a bit. The other thing that probably slowed things down a bit was not exchanging water first. But now that you are at a CYA or 70, you should continue to maintain the SLAM level of 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria. Make sure there is nothing in the pool (i.e. ladder) so the chlorine can focus on the pool alone. Hope that helps.

Reactions: scottsc1
@Texas Splash Thanks for the prompt reply! I do rinse off the filters and let them dry before replacing. I cycle three of them. But curiously they don't really get all that dirty. The flow seems strong for the size of the pump - I can see the return jet turbulence.

Also one question - should the SLAM clear up the haziness just from the chlorine? As I said, nothing "poofs" from the bottom when I brush any more.

Will go ahead and enter SLAM again and see how that does. :)

Reactions: Texas Splash
totally agree, but I am a stubborn fool and this pool will not conquer me

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.