Algae prevention with a solar cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small amounts of visible algae never made me run and slam, in my opinion it’s a matter of brushing those little nasties and getting them in the water where my chlorine can kill it.

Total agreement with you Pool_Medic, but this one was tricky. Everything is completely clear, the pool has been vacuumed from inch to inch, which includes floor, walls, slopes, etc. Took my time and pool looks great.

Catazaro my dear friend-

I’m not going to plow through this whole thread, simply because I’m tired.

Have you considered pollen?

The last two weeks in CT have been brutal..

I’ve received many misguided complaints mistaking sunken pollen for mustard algae.
Even the fluffy white pollen, when saturated & clumped turns to a slimy dark yellow.

Last edited:
Low chlorine levels for your CYA ...... but the cover is causing algae?

First step according to the TFP way is to maintain proper chlorine levels. If you elect to ignore that why even bother posting on here because you aren't on board with this method!

I leave my cover on for days .... and sometimes the pump off for a day and never had any issues - but my FC is normally in the 4-6 range with cya of 30.

My bet is on pollen/dirt. My pool also catches "stuff" in the same spots each time. If you look at where it is catching the stuff (seam of the corner) you will see it is the purrfect spot for stuff to gather as it takes more effort for the circulation to move it. In future you can suck some up with a turkey baster. The squirt it out onto a white paper towel in a colander and let it dry. This will show you for sure what it is.

Thanks to all that helped on this thread! :hug:

Kim :kim: ( also did a tiny bit of clean up on this thread)

You are missing some keys.

Water can indeed have algae growing in high chlorine, dead spots due to poor circulation. Ever brush a crystal clear pools steps, where the liner is attached? Or a ladder? There is always minute amounts of algae there.

Pools need to breathe to aid in oxidation. Leave a solar blanket on a pool with high chlorine and yes, it will get some algae growth.

Small amounts of visible algae never made me run and slam, in my opinion it’s a matter of brushing those little nasties and getting them in the water where my chlorine can kill it.

Hi -

We installed solar covers last year and experienced the similar issues. No algae at the beginning of the season but slowly the covers have green areas (clear covers and it is more obvious). But it never got too bad. We just tried to sprinkle the chlorinated water to the covers as much as possible. As far as the pool surface is concerned, we did what you did - just brushing anything unusual off and it seemed to have worked. In general, we are happy with the solar covers for their intended use.

If your solar cover is in contact with the pool water (which is within FC range based on your CYA), I'm not sure how the solar cover causes algae...only if your pool is, in face, full of algae. I don't understand how solar cover would cause algae build up alone. Looking it it from a chemist point of view.

I don't understand how solar cover would cause algae build up alone

Just a thought, but not an argument. The solar cover does not necessarily cause algae build up alone all over the pool, put just enough under the cover. Combine this with restricted water flow right underneath the cover, a surface temperature way above normal (no one has really measured temperature) right underneath the cover. Eventually pump shuts off, any small algae buildup drops to the bottom of the floor, where indeed there could be circulation issues, and this is where this could potentially begin the saga. Probability is that FC must be maintained at least 7.5% of CYA, just like a non SWG pool, and not at the 5% minimum. My minimum has indeed dropped below the 5% for SWG, and not once without the cover have I ever failed the OCLT, which is done every 2 weeks, or had water that was not crystal clear.

It appears that with a solar cover, the minimum must be raised way beyond the normal. Some people may have had better luck, or it could be pollen as Ray or suggested before. I know that one member keeps his levels at 10% of CYA with the solar cover, which would require a minimum of 7 ppm in the a.m. with my cover.

There have been a few threads over time that the only thing we could figure out was it was the cover causing the problems. Nothing else could be found......take and leave the cover off...........no algae. Put and leave the cover on..........algae. The cover was the ONLY thing that changed....well and the temp of the water due to the cover being on.

I call this thread done. He has found what works for his pool and we can all learn from what he is experienced and shared.

Kim TFP MOD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water is very warm. You have to circulate 6-8 hours a day and shock it if there is any algae. It's the only way. Plus you may have algae in your filter. You need to flush that. You are recirculating the algae and that is why it keeps coming back.

Here at TFP we do not "shock" our pools. We do a procedure called SLAM. Here is a link: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Each pool is very different so we do not tell a set number of hours to run a pump/filter. Each person needs to find what works best for them and their pool.

The filter is being "flushed" every time the pump is on in that the chlorinated water is being run through it. Do you mean backwash when you say "flush"?

Kim TFP MOD

The water is very warm. You have to circulate 6-8 hours a day and shock it if there is any algae. It's the only way. Plus you may have algae in your filter. You need to flush that. You are recirculating the algae and that is why it keeps coming back.

Thanks for your support Kim. I doubt dead algae, so small will sit on top of the sand or even on the way down, that backwashing will get rid of. This is what chlorine, a.k.a. bleach is designed to do. My pressure has not risen enough to backwash.

As Kim stated, this thread is done.

If anyone wants to discuss, please PM me as there is no reason to waste any more time on this matter. To Kim "Grazie a mille" as they say in Italian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.