Algae keeps coming back

Mom2BandK

May 25, 2019
Kentucky
First time poster here!
My pool has kicked my butt all season. I’m about to throw in the towel, but thought I’d come here for advice first. I have gone through the SLAM process a couple of times this summer, and each time passed the OCLT and followed all the other brushing and cleaning guidelines (including cleaning the filter). However, I keep getting spots of what look like algae around the bottom edge of my pool. Today, it’s on some of the wall. These are my numbers today:
FC: 6.5
CC: 0
Ph: 7.5
TA: 80
TA: 80
CYA: 60
CH: 275

My current FC is a tad lower than I like to keep it, but I don’t believe it has fallen below the minimum for my CYA level. If it did, would this quickly allow algae growth?
I know my ph isn’t ideal- could this contribute?
Shouldn’t my CC be elevated with algae present?

Attachments

• A6569A47-3EEE-4554-A9FE-0176D75EC2ED.jpeg
    A6569A47-3EEE-4554-A9FE-0176D75EC2ED.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 378FD3DF-95EF-4761-BAB1-81DA9E4E867E.jpeg
    378FD3DF-95EF-4761-BAB1-81DA9E4E867E.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear you have had issues. Your pH is fine. The CC can be zero with algae, they are not directly linked under all circumstances.
Is it the same area that the algae build in? Do you brush that area regularly?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mom2BandK
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your numbers look good for any normal test results. The pH has no bearing on algae. If your numbers have been that solid, then perhaps there was some algae hidden never found before? Do you have hollow steps, a ladder, niche behind a light, or main drain? All of those can help to hide algae. Might be worth checking.

Reactions: Mom2BandK
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear you have had issues. Your pH is fine. The CC can be zero with algae, they are not directly linked under all circumstances.
Is it the same area that the algae build in? Do you brush that area regularly?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks for the reply. I have read the ABCs, but wondered if I missed something. :)
It does always seem to appear around the edge like that, but not necessarily in the same spots I brush at least weekly. 🤷🏻‍♀️

That is the bottom edge, right? Does your Aquabot get to those areas? How often do you run it?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your numbers look good for any normal test results. The pH has no bearing on algae. If your numbers have been that solid, then perhaps there was some algae hidden never found before? Do you have hollow steps, a ladder, niche behind a light, or main drain? All of those can help to hide algae. Might be worth checking.
Thanks for the reply. We swapped out our big bulky steps this year to hopefully avoid an algae situation. Our steps do have grooves, so it’s possible there is some in there. I brush those and when I brush the pool, but maybe I’m not getting them good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.