Algae issues

jt4200jt

May 20, 2020
Sulphur Louisiana
I was out of town for 4 days, and I couldn't sample my water. I have some algae on the bottom of the pool, and it is starting to turn green. I sampled yesterday and today. Here are my results:
6/7
FC .6ppm
PH 7.8ppm
TA 110ppm
CH 90ppm
CYA 50ppm
I added 2 1/2 gallons of bleach
6/8
FC 6.2ppm CC .2ppm
PH 8.2ppm (2 drops acid demand reagent to lower to 7.8ppm)
TA 120ppm
CH 90ppm
CYA 50ppm

I know my PH & TA are high, but does this affect algae growth? What should I do? Thanks!

I have a 20,000 gallon rectangle vinyl liner. I use a Taylor K-2006C sample kit. I live in SW Louisiana where it is hot & humid.

First thing to do, lower the pH to about 7.2 in preparation for the SLAM Process. Once the pH is lowered, increase the FC to 20 which is the proper SLAM FC level based on your current CYA. See FC/CYA Levels. Forget about everything else at that point until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria noted on the SLAM Process page.

For FC testing, use a 10 ML sample size with one generous scoop of powder. Mix from pink to clear. Take the total number of drops and divide in half. Example: 24 drops equals an FC of 12.

Reactions: jt4200jt
So I started the SLAM process yesterday evening, and my FC was 24 at 10 pm, and 23 at 10 am. I know I am a little over the recommended FC. I am brushing the sides and bottom too. Do I leave my FC where it is, or do I add bleach to get it back to 24ppm?

For a CYA of 50, you are targeting 20. I would leave it be for a few hours since it is at 23. My guess is that you will have to add some by this afternoon. Just keep testing and adding FC as needed until you pass the SLAM criteria.

Reactions: jt4200jt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.