Atlanta, GA
FC: 27.5
CC: 425
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 80
Taylor 2006c kit

The only level spot for the pool was under a couple big trees. I know organic matter in the pool is my biggest problem.

Intex vinyl 8000 gallons. I've upgraded the pump and sand filter to be a bit over spec'ed. Under better conditions it probably needs to run 5-6 hours a day. Now I run 12-24 hours a day. Backwash once or twice a week I have a "pool Roomba" I run once or twice a week. I brush once a week.

I've been using a mix of liquid chlorine, shock, and pucks. I know I need to stop using the pucks my CYA is too high. I was experimenting.

I just added some pH raiser aiming for 7.6.

I'm bouncing between clear water and murky green. I've been trying to SLAM when murky. It works but then a week or so later I'm back to murky.

So suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Drain 50% of your pool and get your CYA down to 40 and it will be easier to manage and clear the algae with the SLAM Process.

Stop using pucks that add CYA. You need to use all liquid chlorine.

Your SLAM FC for CYA 80 would be 32 ppm which is difficult to maintain.

Welcome to TFP.

Drain 50% of your pool and get your CYA down to 40 and it will be easier to manage and clear the algae with the SLAM Process.

Stop using pucks that add CYA. You need to use all liquid chlorine.

Your SLAM FC for CYA 80 would be 32 ppm which is difficult to maintain.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. Understood on the drain, I did one at the start of the season. Since I'm only a few ppm off from SLAM level now, do you think SLAMing at this level and letting the CYA normally come down is a viable option? Or am I so off that a reset it needed? Thanks!

CYA doesn't come down much on its own - it does degrade, but we're talking like 10ppm on a very hot month at most. Normally less than 5ppm in a month. If you backwash or have splashout you can lose a little from that too, but again, it's minimal.

What was your process for testing the FC and CC? First step is to make sure you're doing the testing right. :) Also, how old is the kit/reagents?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.