Regina Johnson

In The Industry
Dec 9, 2021
USA
Is it true that the use of a chlorine salt generator eliminates the appearance of algae in the pool (I read it here: Why is My Pool Green? | Discount Salt Pool Blog Or is it just a marketing ploy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regina,

Kind of a half-truth.. If you keep the right amount of Chlorine in your pool, you will never get algae, but it does not matter where the chlorine comes from.

A saltwater chlorine generator just uses the salt in the pool water to make chlorine.. It is no different than adding chlorine any other way...

You don't get algae because of the chlorine, not because of the saltwater..

See this.. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And this... FC/CYA Levels

Do you really work in the pool industry?

Please update you location to something other than USA.

I should also note that I have three saltwater pools and would rather fill them in, rather than have them be anything but saltwater pools.. In my opinion, the easiest way to maintain a pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Marketing ploy. Chlorine kills algae. A SWCG is great because it provides a constant dosing of chlorine into the pool to maintain a consistent chlorine level. However, you can set your SWCG too low and not generate enough chlorine and therefore could have algae form. Regardless of the chlorine method used, it is important to maintain the chlorine level at a suitable value to sanitize the water properly. Please read FC/CYA Levels and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.