Algae in fountain but FC is at 8ppm

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I noticed algae forming on the side of the fountain. The hot tub and the pool seem to be fine but maybe it is growing there too and i just cant really see it. Photo below shows fountain.

I am planning to do the shock program but i tested my FC and it is at 8ppm so I am not sure why i am getting the algae.

My main questions are:

1. Since I dont see it in the pool and hot tub so should i try to do just the fountain or should i do it all?
2. Should i brush the sides of the fountain to get rid of the algae even though that will send it into the pool?

Shared album - Tate Goodman - Google Photos

yes, on closer inspection i realized there was some in the pool too. It has been rainy and overcast for the last several days here and I thought the cloudiness was just because it was overcast.

I have not brushed or vacuumed the pool in a couple of weeks and had the pump off more than normal lately while i clean up the filter.

So I will read up on the SLAM and then post back if I have any questions.

Thanks in advance for any help

Oh, that is very good to know. I will brush a couple times a day and vacuum once a day and keep the FC around 20ppm for the next couple of days and see how that does.

Thanks for the help. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if I should be doing anything else based on my numbers.

Thanks

I have the crystal clear water, I forgot to test last night so I will have to do it tonight. I did test yesterday morning and it was at 21PPM and then tested this morning and it was at 17PPM so I thinking the overnight loss was probably only around 1 or 2

I have the crystal clear water, I forgot to test last night so I will have to do it tonight. I did test yesterday morning and it was at 21PPM and then tested this morning and it was at 17PPM so I thinking the overnight loss was probably only around 1 or 2

Testing from one morning to the next does not allow us to rule out chlorine loss due to the sun, so do a proper OCLT tonight if you can.

Do you manually chlorinate your pool with bleach normally?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes, I manually chlorinate. I have a floater that i put tablets in but only when i remember. The main thing I do is test and then manually add liquid bleach in front of one of the returns.

I will not add any bleach today and I will test tonight and then again in the morning.
Thanks

I will not add any bleach today and I will test tonight and then again in the morning.

You need to maintain your FC so you need to add your bleach. And mixing Trichlor into this mix just is a confusing mess. You will have limited success if you do not select a consistent process to maintain your pool water chemistry so that it is sanitary.

Please read the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test article. You must remove any form of product (eg Trichlor tablets) before you test this evening to perform the OCLT.

Take care.

You can keep the tablets. Just use them when you will be away for a few days to a week. You know what they will add and you manage that when you return.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.