Algae in fountain but FC is at 8ppm

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I noticed algae forming on the side of the fountain. The hot tub and the pool seem to be fine but maybe it is growing there too and i just cant really see it. Photo below shows fountain.

I am planning to do the shock program but i tested my FC and it is at 8ppm so I am not sure why i am getting the algae.

My main questions are:

1. Since I dont see it in the pool and hot tub so should i try to do just the fountain or should i do it all?
2. Should i brush the sides of the fountain to get rid of the algae even though that will send it into the pool?

Shared album - Tate Goodman - Google Photos

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
yes, on closer inspection i realized there was some in the pool too. It has been rainy and overcast for the last several days here and I thought the cloudiness was just because it was overcast.

I have not brushed or vacuumed the pool in a couple of weeks and had the pump off more than normal lately while i clean up the filter.

So I will read up on the SLAM and then post back if I have any questions.

Thanks in advance for any help

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I added three bottles of bleach to bring the FC to 20ppm. However i noticed from my tests that the PH is high. Should i try to lower it or wait until the shock is over?

FC - 20
CC - 0
pH - 8.2
TA - 110
CH - 300
CYA - 50

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Oh, that is very good to know. I will brush a couple times a day and vacuum once a day and keep the FC around 20ppm for the next couple of days and see how that does.

Thanks for the help. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if I should be doing anything else based on my numbers.

Thanks

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Hey Guys,
I slammed for 4-5 days with the FC at 20 ppm, brushed the pool a couple times a day and vacuumed a couple of times. I also cleaned the filters again.

The pool looks good now, is there anything else I should do or am I good to go?

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I have the crystal clear water, I forgot to test last night so I will have to do it tonight. I did test yesterday morning and it was at 21PPM and then tested this morning and it was at 17PPM so I thinking the overnight loss was probably only around 1 or 2

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
I have the crystal clear water, I forgot to test last night so I will have to do it tonight. I did test yesterday morning and it was at 21PPM and then tested this morning and it was at 17PPM so I thinking the overnight loss was probably only around 1 or 2

Testing from one morning to the next does not allow us to rule out chlorine loss due to the sun, so do a proper OCLT tonight if you can.

Do you manually chlorinate your pool with bleach normally?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
yes, I manually chlorinate. I have a floater that i put tablets in but only when i remember. The main thing I do is test and then manually add liquid bleach in front of one of the returns.

I will not add any bleach today and I will test tonight and then again in the morning.
Thanks

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I will not add any bleach today and I will test tonight and then again in the morning.

You need to maintain your FC so you need to add your bleach. And mixing Trichlor into this mix just is a confusing mess. You will have limited success if you do not select a consistent process to maintain your pool water chemistry so that it is sanitary.

Please read the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test article. You must remove any form of product (eg Trichlor tablets) before you test this evening to perform the OCLT.

Take care.

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Ok, I just used the tablets because I had purchased them from the pool store before I found this forum and was just trying to use them up. I only have a few left so I will just give them to my neighbor or something.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
You can keep the tablets. Just use them when you will be away for a few days to a week. You know what they will add and you manage that when you return.

Take care.

xyz

Gold Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
Escondido/CA
Keep them around in case you have to take a trip. Your CYA will inch up when you use them though. Part of the reason why pucks are not a good long-term option.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.