Algae Help!

I’m beyond impressed with all the support and advice from this forum that I decided to be a contributor.
Thank you kindly so we can continue having fun and helping folks along the way. :)
Pool is looking GREAT despite the sandstorms last night
Lemme answer you……. With you. 👇
The FC has been on the high side 10-12 ppm and my target is 5-8 ppm
Stuff will happen and you either need to be watching the pool like a Hawk, or be proactively higher to be ahead of the game when it does. You understood the safety net principle and put it into practice, and it made the event a non-event. Look at you GO !!!

The event might even be your own doing like the kids taking you away from your nightly poolcare for a dance recital that goes way too long to care about the pool by the time you get ice cream after, arriving home exhausted. (Ask me how I know :ROFLMAO:)

Being covered either way is worth it’s weight in gold IMHO.

Reactions: poolmom21
Morning!! So we had the most extreme sandstorm/ high winds all last night. I’ve never seen so much debri leaves in the skimmer basket ever. I mean it was full not to mention all the stuff I skimmed off the top of water. I’m freaking out that there will be an algae bloom festival. The FC has been on the high side 10-12 ppm and my target is 5-8 ppm. Besides cleaning and vacuuming is there anything else I need to do? Also, I will be checking FC to see where it is due to all the dirt/leaves debri?
As the others have said, being a little on the high side protects you from events like this.

You've got this! You're doing great.

Yes, thank you and for a minute I thought the high FC was a bad thing since I’m stilll learning but thankful it was after last nights sandstorms. I just can’t believe how easy it is to maintain the pool once you get the hang of it. I can’t imagine what the pool would look like if I had not found this forum or fired our pool service tech or even be relying on the pool store for advice. I was so ignorant with pool maintenance because I relied on our pool cleaner. I would watch him like a hawk and complain that he wasn’t testing or cleaning the poop correctly. It took me years to finally cut the cord and I’m glad I did. If I had maintain our pool and relied on our monthly service this pool would be a disaster and a paradise for algae retuning after continuous shocks by the pool guy 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ Let’s just say at one time my husband questioned TFP’s method and of course doubted me as I knew nothing of pools BUT NOW he believes in TFP and my abilities to maintain our pool. Yeaahh for ME and your support.

Well said. This should be the first thing every frustrated pool owner reads when they find TFP.
Good for you and your spouse for staying the course and finding our first hand what so many good people at TFP have learned as well.
Now pay it forward, stick around and lead other pool owners who arrive here frustrated and confused with their pool systems. :cheers:

Great news!
So many of us have been in your shoes and have gotten "egakated" (LOL) with TFP methods. We would never go back. As my siggy says: No longer pool stored 10 summers and counting.

I would be curious what the pH reads after the storm.
I did test the water and PH read at 7.8 🤷🏻‍♀️

It's been great to see you learn, question and then, the AHA! moment(s). Kudos to you!

We have been there and, as you've seen, stayed around for a lonnnnggg time to help
others here. The best part is no matter what life or Mother Nature throws at you, you
now know what to do to get the pool back in line. And if you don't, well you know who to
ask!

So glad your husband is now a believer in TFP and your pool expertise! Relax and
both of you enjoy the holiday weekend! (Testing occasionally of course! :ROFLMAO: ).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let’s just say at one time my husband questioned TFP’s method and of course doubted me as I knew nothing of pools BUT NOW he believes in TFP and my abilities to maintain our pool. Yeaahh for ME and your support.
Your husband was not the first and will not be the last spouse to question TFP methods. And then they all come around! Sparkling clean pool!

Your husband was not the first and will not be the last spouse to question TFP methods. And then they all come around! Sparkling clean pool!
Yeah, my wife wanted to hire a pool service, after we were pool stored 3 years ago, and I convinced her to let me try this TFP method and if it doesn't work, we can hire someone. Going on 2 1/2 years, I haven't had to do a lot of adjustments to the pool chemistry, except for a little stabilizer. PH has stayed between 7.4-7.7, Alk has been 60-80, CH has been around 175-200 and I typically add about half a gallon a day of LC and my chlorine levels have stayed between 4.0-8.0 since May. Easiest year yet. The stirrer makes testing so easy, and I feel like I can go a couple of days or more without testing since I've gotten to know my pool. My wife loves the pool and is glad that I was able to find TFP.

Yeah, my wife wanted to hire a pool service, after we were pool stored 3 years ago, and I convinced her to let me try this TFP method and if it doesn't work, we can hire someone. Going on 2 1/2 years, I haven't had to do a lot of adjustments to the pool chemistry, except for a little stabilizer. PH has stayed between 7.4-7.7, Alk has been 60-80, CH has been around 175-200 and I typically add about half a gallon a day of LC and my chlorine levels have stayed between 4.0-8.0 since May. Easiest year yet. The stirrer makes testing so easy, and I feel like I can go a couple of days or more without testing since I've gotten to know my pool. My wife loves the pool and is glad that I was able to find TFP.
Yes!! That was my response to him when he was freaking out of all the LC bottles I had purchased. He was like YOU NEED ALL OF THAT LOL. I told him let me try it and I’d it doesn’t work out I’ll look for a service company. He has no time for the pool so I it’s on me to deal with it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: mariane and cledee
Let’s just say at one time my husband questioned TFP’s method and of course doubted me as I knew nothing of pools BUT NOW he believes in TFP and my abilities to maintain our pool. Yeaahh for ME and your support.
I'm curious. What was the point at which he converted? What did he say? Did he apologize for doubting you?

Inquisitive minds want to know...

Reactions: mariane and Newdude
Skepticism is an important component of all good ideas and recommended practices including mandates. Reasoned debate and research wins every time when it's at least tolerated. All part of a healthy relationship.
:testresults:

Last edited:
I'm curious. What was the point at which he converted? What did he say? Did he apologize for doubting you?

Inquisitive minds want to know...
Right before I passed the overnight test, he started telling me how clean/clear the water looked so he started giving me credit little bit at a time. Then the Gardner complimented him for the pool but he didn’t take the credit and he finally believed the TFP METHOD once I passed the SLAM test. He did apologize for not believing in me or the method and also apologized for getting upset for letting go of pool service during this hot weather months. He now takes great joy and pride to let everyone know that the reason our pool water looks so nice is because of me he he

Skepticism is an important component of all good ideas and recommended practices including mandates. Reasoned debate and research wins every time when it's at least tolerated. All part of a healthy relationship.
I think most of us were sceptics when we started because we had been "pool stored" so badly. We were desperate to find something, anything that worked besides the terrible advice from the pool store that was not working.

My last straw was when the pool store employee (who did not have a pool and swore never to own one) told me the cloudy water was from too high calcium and I had to drain the pool - we're talking 11K gallon AG vinyl pool. I went searching the web and found TFP. I've made some stupid mistakes since switching over and learned from them the hard way. Still no turning back.

:lovetfp:

Yep! Lesson learned right. I’m here still having a full jug of Leslie’s perfect Weekly $60 and a 3 lbs of Chlorine Neutralizer $40 that was told to buy to help with cloudy/algae water and high FC ( at that time it was around 6 ppm) 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.