Algae has won the battle...help me win the WAR!

Glad I looked again before starting. I'll add chlorine tonight and go from there. Thanks.

STOP!!! You most likely have the bacteria that attacks CYA. You now have ammonia. Here is the process.

Add enough chlorine to reach FC 10. Pump on. Test FC after 15 minutes. If below 5, repeat. Once FC holds between 7-10 after the 15 minutes, then add CYA and start your SLAM.

Good luck.

So...I've added many gallons of bleach and the water is now pale green and I'm nearly able to see the bottom :) However, I haven't been able to get the FC to 10. It gets to 2 and that's it. I haven't added CYA yet because I can't get it to 10. What am I doing wrong?

I was reading the more detailed FAS-DPD test info and found this: In rare cases the sample may turn cloudy. If this happens the test is still valid. You add drops until the sample turns cloudy white, i.e. the red/pink is completely gone, rather than waiting for it to turn clear. This is what happens to my test - what is the rare case? Still ammonia in my pool?

Are you following this process:
Add enough chlorine to reach FC 10. Pump on. Test FC after 15 minutes. If below 5, repeat. Once FC holds between 7-10 after the 15 minutes, then add CYA and start your SLAM.

You cannot just add and go away. This is a process.

Good luck.

According to Pool Math, I should add 2 gallons of 10% bleach and that will take me from 0 to 12 FC...That doesn't touch it. I added 10 gallons of bleach and got to 4 FC. Have no idea how much bleach to add to get it to 10, especially if there are other issues like ammonia. How does that affect the results? And I haven't added CYA, so still at 0.

Just bought 40 more gallons of bleach - - tell me what to add. How long after adding the bleach do I test to see what the FC is?

So far, after a day of adding 46 gallons of bleach the water has changed from black/green to dark green with green foam to green with white foam to light green with floating dead algae. So progress is being made.....right?

Again, are you testing your FC after 15 minutes?

If so - then you had alot of ammonia. It can take a lot of bleach to kill off the ammonia. Yes, it is getting better, but you are fighting the UV loss of chlorine during the day too.
That is why I keep asking if you are testing after 15 minutes.

Take care.

You add what pool math says, and keep repeating every 15 minutes if you do not test between 7 and 10. Do not over add, just keep doing the same regimen.

Pump on all the time.

Drain and refill may be easier, but not recommended in the summer in the desert. It will damage your plaster.

Do not add CYA until your FC holds above 7.

Example: You test and get FC 2, add enough bleach to get to 10, wait 15 minutes, test, get FC 3; add enough bleach to get to 10; wait 15 minutes, test .... until that test shows above 7.

CYA is food for the bacteria in your water that creates ammonia.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to order FAS - DPD refills now. You have a long road ahead of you in defeating this algae.

Once you go to SLAM, use a 5 ml sample of water and each drop equals 1 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perfect. Thank you!! Got it now...fingers crossed I don't run Home Depot out of chlorine :)

Does Home Depot store their chlorine outside? If they do, especially in Phoenix, I highly recommend you start buying it somewhere else. Heat will speed up chlorine's loss of effectiveness and that 6% or 10% bleach might actually only be 2% or 5% (or less!) if it's been sitting outside in the heat for awhile.

WalMart generally keeps both their "Pool Chlorinating Liquid" (10%, $3.64/gallon in the pool section) inside, along with their traditional "Great Value" house brand concentrated bleach (8.25%, $2.67/121oz jug in the laundry aisle). The Great Value bleach tends to be newer, usually made within the past 2-3 weeks.

I've found Walmart's 2 pack of 10% liquid chlorine to be one of the best values around, when nothing is on a discounted sale.

Chlorine.jpg

Last edited:
Does Home Depot store their chlorine outside? If they do, especially in Phoenix, I highly recommend you start buying it somewhere else. Heat will speed up chlorine's loss of effectiveness and that 6% or 10% bleach might actually only be 2% or 5% (or less!) if it's been sitting outside in the heat for awhile.

WalMart generally keeps both their "Pool Chlorinating Liquid" (10%, $3.64/gallon in the pool section) inside, along with their traditional "Great Value" house brand concentrated bleach (8.25%, $2.67/121oz jug in the laundry aisle). The Great Value bleach tends to be newer, usually made within the past 2-3 weeks.

Actually, HD keeps it inside and it's less than Walmart when I checked a couple of days ago. Both were 10%, HD is $6.86/2 pack and Walmart was $8 something... thanks for looking out for me though ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I've found Walmart's 2 pack of 10% liquid chlorine to be one of the best values around, when nothing is on a discounted sale.

View attachment 67890

Nice chart!! HD has the HDX brand here (Phoenix) but it's 10% and a 2-pack for $6.86.

Actually, HD keeps it inside and it's less than Walmart when I checked a couple of days ago. Both were 10%, HD is $6.86/2 pack and Walmart was $8 something... thanks for looking out for me though ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice chart!! HD has the HDX brand here (Phoenix) but it's 10% and a 2-pack for $6.86.

Walmart must change their prices in different areas then, cuz that’s what it was when I bought 2weeks ago. Can’t ever keep anything simple, can they lol

You did the process I described every 15 minutes all day and you still have not cleared the ammonia? Whoa, not sure what to say ---

Unless someone else has a better suggestion, I'd say to keep on adding chlorine as you are and see if it starts to hold over the new couple of days. With a CC of 10, its obviously reacting with something. I've see posts on here where people had to add huge amounts of chlorine to their pool over week or more period of time before the chlorine finally got rid of everything in their pool and started to hold as it should.

UPDATE: I've added NO bleach yet today. Thought I'd take some readings just to see where I am now....FC 2 and CC 5

Does that make any sense to anyone? Pool looks pretty good, too. It's still green but with a bluish tinge and I can almost see the bottom.

Is there a test for ammonia?

There are ammonia tests available at aquarium stores.

I wonder how you can hold 2 FC without any CYA in the sunshine of Phoenix. That is odd.

You can get an ammonia test or just try adding CYA and see how it goes.

Have ever added any pool store potions? The high CC numbers are odd also.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.