algae even though chlorine did not go below minimum

Chaya

Bronze Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Lakewood, New Jersey
If chlorine never dips below the recommended minimum (and is even much more than that) is it possible to get algae?
because i got significant yellow streaking at the bottom of my pool and i brushed up clouds of yellow this morning and tested 1 CC, but i'm surprised because my chlorine levels have been perfect for my cya. We did have frequent thunderstorms and downpours throughout the day Friday and some days previously. Would that affect it?

Rain would drop the FC level at the surface if the pump was not running.

Have you been brushing the pool a couple times a week? That is integral to keeping algae from forming.

i thought one time per week was the recommended.
It is, but your pool appears to be algae prone. Might be organics being blown in the pool or some other reason. More frequent brushing normally keeps things better mixed.

I guess you've found out it is possible. You should try to keep it in the target range. What test kit are you using, and what are your complete numbers?
i better change my signature to include my test kit. its the taylor k-2006 fas dpd. i was testing twice a day every day but then last few days weather on and off was so bad and there were thunderstorms when i was leaving to work or in the evening... so i think i missed some tests. but i tested at least once a day and it was always within target until friday afternoon when it was just above minimum and I spotted the algae :(

my numbers are
alkalinity 60 (dropped b/c of the few inches of rain).
ph 7.4
chlorine 8.5
cc 1
cya 60 (or is it 65)

i just started a slam this AM and brushed the whole pool

i better change my signature to include my test kit. its the taylor k-2006 fas dpd. i was testing twice a day every day but then last few days weather on and off was so bad and there were thunderstorms when i was leaving to work or in the evening... so i think i missed some tests. but i tested at least once a day and it was always within target until friday afternoon when it was just above minimum and I spotted the algae :(

my numbers are
alkalinity 60 (dropped b/c of the few inches of rain).
ph 7.4
chlorine 8.5
cc 1
cya 60 (or is it 65)

i just started a slam this AM and brushed the whole pool

If your CYA is over 60, you round up to 70. So your target would be 8-10, and your SLAM level would be 28.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.