mac2006

Jul 24, 2021
Wichita, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my first year maintaining my own pool but have always had trouble keeping algae under control. Our pool is old and probably doesn't have the best circulation and also has a leak somewhere that we aren't planning to invest in fixing this season due to the need for a replaster after this season. I have to fill up a couple inches of water a week so I know that is messing with my chemical levels. I started a SLAM today because the water had been cloudy for several days and now is starting to turn green.
Pool is 35,000 gallon in ground plaster.
Test results from my home test kit:
PH 7.5
FC 0.5
CYA 20
I added 4 lbs of 73% Cal-hypo and brushed the sides.
My question is, how often do I test and shock again during the SLAM process? I think I read somewhere on here that it should be done twice a day but I can't find it again to clarify. Also, I saw that my CYA level should be 30 so I planned to add CYA to increase that but can I do that during the SLAM process or should I wait until after it is completed? If I understand correctly, increasing that level will help make my chlorine last longer.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process.
CYA should be 30 ppm. You can add that at any time. You should plan to test FC and add liquid chlorine every couple hours to start.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
I can't find liquid chlorine in my area. Will the granular work or am I wasting chemicals?

I assume your CH is low. If so, you can use cal hypo. But it is rare that liquid chlorine is completely unattainable. Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Ace Hardware, farm stores, pool stores, etc all carry liquid chlorine.

Menards - Wichita West -- Pool Shock -- 392 In-Stock at Click here to go to WICHITA WEST

I assume your CH is low. If so, you can use cal hypo. But it is rare that liquid chlorine is completely unattainable. Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Ace Hardware, farm stores, pool stores, etc all carry liquid chlorine.

Menards - Wichita West -- Pool Shock -- 392 In-Stock at Click here to go to WICHITA WEST
CH is 500. Can you help me understand the difference in liquid chlorine vs bleach? Are they the same?

Are they the same?
They are. Household bleach is typically 6% or less, has additives, and is increasingly not good to use in a pool.
Liquid chlorine is normally 10% or 12.5%, plain, sold as 'shock', 'chlorinating liquid', etc.

With a CH of 500, use of cal hypo will potentially cause cloudy water and scale deposits.

They are. Household bleach is typically 6% or less, has additives, and is increasingly not good to use in a pool.
Liquid chlorine is normally 10% or 12.5%, plain, sold as 'shock', 'chlorinating liquid', etc.

With a CH of 500, use of cal hypo will potentially cause cloudy water and scale deposits.
Ahhh, ok maybe that's been my problem then. I will go in search of liquid chlorine again. I don't think I fully understood what I was looking for or where to look but I'm close to Menards so I'll see what I can find. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.