Algae but high FC

Feb 24, 2014
Delaware, OH
I have had troubles with algae this past month. I tried to shocked the pool and left for vacation with clear water and high FC levels (13). I came back today to find algae on the bottom and still high FC(my mother added bleach for me per my instruction while I was gone, obviously I told her too much) I have had issues for a few years with this but can't seem to figure this out. This is my current Readins in my 17000 gal pool with solar cover.
FC 13
CYA 65
PH 6.8
TA 80
CH 160

I will brush pool and add Borax tonight. But should ph alone cause that algae? We had tons of rain while I was gone.

You owe Mom a big thanks if your water is clear enough to see the bottom.

13 FC is not all that high at 70 CYA. (Round up)

Shock level for 70 CYA is 28 FC.

You need to adjust pH to 7.2 only and then commence some serious bleaching. It's called the SLAM Process

What I don't understand is why isn't my FC changing. This morning everything is the same as last night, just my PH is now at 7.4. I added zero bleach and my FC stayed the same. Shouldn't the algae on the bottom that I brushed be using up my FC.
So two weeks ago when I had this problem I shocked the pool and it took four days for my pool to go from 26 down to 14. Shouldn't my FC be dropping more with the algae?

What I don't understand is why isn't my FC changing. This morning everything is the same as last night, just my PH is now at 7.4. I added zero bleach and my FC stayed the same. Shouldn't the algae on the bottom that I brushed be using up my FC.
So two weeks ago when I had this problem I shocked the pool and it took four days for my pool to go from 26 down to 14. Shouldn't my FC be dropping more with the algae?
Not if it's mostly dead already.

Might want to consider bringing your stabilizer level down, even if you empty and replace only a few surface inches at a time. SLAMs tend to use more LC than necessary to achieve higher FC/CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.