Algae and high Cyanuric Acid - HELP PLEASE!

mariajp

Oct 16, 2019
Houston
Hi!
We have had a pool company take care of our pool since we bought a house with a pool a few years ago but have taken over a few months ago to save money. Our filter broke and needed replacement and within the few days they had to order and install the new filter our pool turned green and became cloudy. It rained a lot those days. We haven't been able to get a real grip on it since. We need help please!!
We brought a water sample to Leslie's a few days ago and they recommended to drain a foot and refill since our CYA was over 100. The numbers were: Free Chlorine 10, Total Chlorine 10, Calcium Hardness 410, Cyanuric Acid 120, Total Alkalinity 100, pH 7.6, Phosphates 300. So I rented a submersible pump at Home Depot (our overflow pipe ends in our backyards and floods our yard and our neighbor's) and proceeded.
After doing that, cleaning the filters and running the pump a few hours and getting it tested again, numbers were better but still high: FAC 7, TAC 7, CH 310, CYA 90, TA 80 and Pho 100. So they recommended to repeat the process. So I drained it a foot again today and am currently refilling it (I'm nervous to see our water bill...).
I read through the ebook pool school the last few days and downloaded the pool math app and got the TF-100 test. I am determined to learn how to handle the care of the pool but I am still unsure of it all. When I tested the water with our kit last night the numbers were actually higher than Leslie's :( FC 8, pH 7.5, TA 150, CH 400, CYA 100, CSI 0.18. Is it possible to be so off? I might be doing the testing wrong - it was the first time of using the kit.
We've been using the chlorine tablets but after reading the book I will be looking for liquid chlorine. I cannot find regular bleach at the grocery store, home depot or walmart.
Where do I go from here? Leslie's recommended to add Green to Clean, brush, add 2 lbs of Power Powder Plus, wait 12 hours and repeat the powder and brush for 3 times. Is that the right thing to do?
Sorry for the long desperate post. I appreciate any help!!! :)

Attachments

• 20191019_164337.jpg
    20191019_164337.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20191019_164341.jpg
    20191019_164341.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 27
First - before I say anything else, DO NOT used Green to Clean. It will put you in more trouble.

Next, solid forms of chlorine (tabs and shock) are doing nothing than raising your CYA. If nothing else, use plain bleach. It is weak liquid chlorine.

What test kit do you have?

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Until you get your kit (or if yours is one we trust), each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: mariajp
Maria,

Welcome to TFP, you've come to the right place. I can tell you what's not next. Don't go to the pool store. If your results are from your TF-100 that you show in your signature your results are more accurate than the pool store. You'll need to replace more water to get your CYA to recommended level of 50 ppm or less. Please read and re-read the SLAM information, watch the video and ask any questions. Once you're ready for the SLAM you'll need to stay with it. You'll use a lot of liquid chlorine at first so make sure you have plenty on hand. Try to find some 10% or more. You can usually find it at Walmart, HD, or Lowes. You can use plain bleach but it will take a lot since this is only 6% or so. Do not use any bleach with additives or enhancers of any kind. The SLAM process is much different than the standard shock process you heard about at the pool store. The key is "M" for maintain. You need to reach SLAM level and s tay there as consistantly as possible. The most common reason I see that causes problems for new TFP'ers is they just don't want to add enough chlorine and don't check FC levels frequently enough. If you do this right you'll see marked improvement in days and final clean up can be done in a week or so to a clear pool. If you are too tentative with the liquid chlorine you will extend the time to clear.

A big difference between the pool store and here is we don't sell anything. You don't need to spend hundreds of $ on special potions. And definitely don't buy the chemicals the store recommended. All you need is to get the CYA down to recommended levels, adjust ph with some MA if needed then start your SLAM. You're not alone. We have your back and you'll be joining the thousands had similar histories to you. My pool has been crystal clear for over 5 years using TFP only for less than $10/mo.

Again, ask any questions you have so you understand the process before the start. We have experts standing by to help you every step of the way.

Good luck!

Chris

Hi!
We have had a pool company take care of our pool since we bought a house with a pool a few years ago but have taken over a few months ago to save money. Our filter broke and needed replacement and within the few days they had to order and install the new filter our pool turned green and became cloudy. It rained a lot those days. We haven't been able to get a real grip on it since. We need help please!!
We brought a water sample to Leslie's a few days ago and they recommended to drain a foot and refill since our CYA was over 100. The numbers were: Free Chlorine 10, Total Chlorine 10, Calcium Hardness 410, Cyanuric Acid 120, Total Alkalinity 100, pH 7.6, Phosphates 300. So I rented a submersible pump at Home Depot (our overflow pipe ends in our backyards and floods our yard and our neighbor's) and proceeded.
After doing that, cleaning the filters and running the pump a few hours and getting it tested again, numbers were better but still high: FAC 7, TAC 7, CH 310, CYA 90, TA 80 and Pho 100. So they recommended to repeat the process. So I drained it a foot again today and am currently refilling it (I'm nervous to see our water bill...).
I read through the ebook pool school the last few days and downloaded the pool math app and got the TF-100 test. I am determined to learn how to handle the care of the pool but I am still unsure of it all. When I tested the water with our kit last night the numbers were actually higher than Leslie's :( FC 8, pH 7.5, TA 150, CH 400, CYA 100, CSI 0.18. Is it possible to be so off? I might be doing the testing wrong - it was the first time of using the kit.
We've been using the chlorine tablets but after reading the book I will be looking for liquid chlorine. I cannot find regular bleach at the grocery store, home depot or walmart.
Where do I go from here? Leslie's recommended to add Green to Clean, brush, add 2 lbs of Power Powder Plus, wait 12 hours and repeat the powder and brush for 3 times. Is that the right thing to do?
Sorry for the long desperate post. I appreciate any help!!! :)
Hi Mariajp, I’m sorry you’re going thru this. I went thru similar experience in May before switching to The TFP method.
And my green was a lot worse than your green. I tried a partial drain, but had to drain entire pool—with CYA off the test scope high.
As far as Power powder plus, just know with that product your pool is also receiving another calcium hit with the chlorine .... But Calcium unlike chlorine, calcium stays in the pool.
I find it easier to control my pool chemistry by separating the components.
Liquid chlorine is easiest for me in that respect -plus cheaper than granular -even though they will tell you otherwise at many retail stores.
Nope, I did the math, and liquid chlorine is cheaper than their granular when you break it down to ppm chlorine increase per dollar.
Ps included my swamp picture so you would see there’s blue at the end of the green tunnel
I tried to include the A9EB39EB-24DC-4DE3-9DD7-9A2919205D73.jpeg1C9AC0A7-0CE3-463D-88E8-E0C8112AFC5D.jpeg8AC434DF-8248-47EC-B84D-26655578F24D.jpegwater snake pict from my swamp but I think it was too many picts to upload

Last edited by a moderator:
... downloaded the pool math app and got the TF-100 test.

When I tested the water with our kit last night the numbers were actually higher than Leslie's :( FC 8, pH 7.5, TA 150, CH 400, CYA 100, CSI 0.18. Is it possible to be so off?

The steps you have taken are excellent. Now we need to determine your actual CYA. With your CYA over 100 you need to do the dilution test:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
You will need to drain at least 50% of your pool or do the Water Exchange Process to get your CYA between 30 and 50.

Use the Home Depot website to check availability in stores around you of

Thank you all very much!!
I will go and buy some liquid chlorine tomorrow! Should I add that tomorrow already or wait until my CYA is under control?
I am currently still refilling the pool - it takes such a long time. I have a feeling my CYA level will still be high though afterwards :(. How many times will I have to drain and refill? I always rent the pump for 4 hours because they said I cannot drain more than 1 foot at a time or it could damage the pool, so it is a very long process. Would it be safe to drain more?

Thank you all very much!!
I will go and buy some liquid chlorine tomorrow! Should I add that tomorrow already or wait until my CYA is under control?
I am currently still refilling the pool - it takes such a long time. I have a feeling my CYA level will still be high though afterwards :(. How many times will I have to drain and refill? I always rent the pump for 4 hours because they said I cannot drain more than 1 foot at a time or it could damage the pool, so it is a very long process. Would it be safe to drain more?

Read the link I gave you above about the Water Exchange Process. It is much more effective then the cycles of draining you were told to do.

Add 1 gallon of 10% chlorine a day to your pool until you get your CYA under 50. Then we will walk you through the SLAM Process to fully clear the algae.

Maria,

Ideal CYA is 30-50 ppm. This is your first SLAM, best to do it right and get the correct range before you start. Get the pH right as well - check it again after you get the CYA in range.. Most places in Houston have a very high water table. Don't get in too much of a hurry. It's not worth floating your pool which can happen if you drain too much and can cost you thousands to repair.

Hang in there! You'll get this over with before you know it!

Chris

Just tossing out some comments for you, Maria-

1) ANYtime your filter is offline, or your power is off, whatever...you can help avoid the green-beast taking over by just using your liquid chlorine and pouring it in the pool and brushing it around good. Remember that algae is a *chemistry* problem, not a mechanical one.

2) Ask around some local pool stores if they sell Liquid Chlorine, many do. You can also check animal feed stores, as well as the hardware stores. Using our TFP PoolMath app you'll be able to know how much to add based on its strength.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maria,

In my area they had a small utility pump at Home Depot and Lowes. You don't need the more expensive one with a float switch. In fact, the switch can make draining difficult if you place it on the step in the shallow end. Look for one like this. It will be one of the cheaper pumps and cost about $60. It sucks from the bottom and you can set it on the step in the shallow end hook a regular garden hose to it so the water can just water your yard or be placed in a drain if you have one close by. I've had mine for years. It's very durable and I use it to pump out holes in the ground to repair irrigation piping here in Florida when it rainy. They only have about 8 feet of cord so you'll need an extension cord. Make sure the connection is secured and out of danger from falling in the pool. I did this by tying the extension cord to a table leg. close to the pump cord end. This way if the cord gets pulled it comes loose from the extension cord before it gets pulled into the water. Of course, plug the extension cord into the outlet only after you check that everything is ready.

Once you get this done just keep up the TFP methodology and you'll never have to do this again. My pool is almost 7 years old and never changed the water. Don't' know what part of Houston you're in but there's a very cheap source of liquid chlorine in the NW area at
2830 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77388 called Napco supply ((281) 651-6800). They sell 12% in refillable containers and they sell the containers. If that's not close you may ask them where to find liquid chlorine nearer to you. It's been over 10 years since I was in Houston but they were very friendly and helpful back then.

I hope this helps.

Chris

You guys are awesome!!
I ordered a pump on amazon which should be here tomorrow. Found and bought some liquid chlorine at our home depot. I will check out Napco - great tip!
I feel so much more prepared to start this process!! Thaaaaank you all!! I am so glad I found this forum! :)

You guys are awesome!!
I ordered a pump on amazon which should be here tomorrow. Found and bought some liquid chlorine at our home depot. I will check out Napco - great tip!
I feel so much more prepared to start this process!! Thaaaaank you all!! I am so glad I found this forum! :)
Aftere you are done with this you will be answering questions for other folks!!

Here in Houston, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Aldi and NAPCO Chemicals are a good sources for liquid chlorine. I never had any problem getting liquid chlorine. Walmart only carries it during summers.

OK, I'm just going to jump in here for a moment.

You have the best test kit...

You have information on where to get good liquid chlorine....

Relax, take a deep breath and relax....

You will get thru this. Almost all of us have found TFP because a pool store lead us down the wrong road. It will get better. Trust us!

It should be getting dst in Houston. Have an adult beverage and say to yoursel, I will have a beautiful pool soon..

Here in Sugar Land I can honestly tell you that I would highly consider an SWG. I can’t tell you how many of my friends down here are going through the same thing as you. The Pucks are a nightmare in my opinion and you will probably constantly be battling the High CYA issue. You really can’t even switch to Cal Hypo because water is so hard down here and you’ll be draining due to high CH versus high CYA.
I’d rather saw my right arm off than not have an SWG down here. Too much hassle with out it. I want to swim in my pool and not conduct science experiments.

Mariajp-

I'm about two months ahead of you in the "OMG WTF is going on with this pool!?!?" cycle. I also live in an area with a shallow water table, and my CYA was over 100. You can search the forum for my thread and my horror story. The long short is I've done two partial drain and refills just to get my CYA level to within recommended limits. Yes, your water bill will reflect this, but paying once to your water company for fresh water so you can dump the excess chemicals allows you to switch to the simpler TFP system.

After doing that I have purchased two jugs of "liquid chlorine" (that's what my Local Pool Store calls it) aka "bleach" aka "sodium hypochlorite 10.5%", and I haven't spent any money there for anything other than an additional jug of muriatic acid. I also bought one of those 3-packs of bleach from HD at one point to tide me over until I could get back to Local Pool Store as their hours are not as convenient as HD.

Unlike BVacchiano, I enjoy science experiments, but also plan on getting a salt water chlorine generator once I have my other, more pressing pool issues fixed.

Mariajp-
I had the same issue with my pool except mine was deep thick army green colored. Thank goodness I found TFP! This site helped me through the whole SLAM process (mine lasted a month with persistent and constant work). I am super happy to report my pool is crystal beautiful now and I've installed a SWG. Absolutely LOVE it!! I can go out of town and have no worries about the pool.

The SLAM process is very intense but take it one step at a time. Expect to use a bunch of the liquid chlorine. I was purchasing mine at HD 8 boxes at a time at least 1x weekly. 1st process is to get your CYA down. Mine originally was around 190. I eventually emptied my pool 3/4 total (done 3 separate times emptying 1/4 each time). FINALLY my CYA was down. Onto the surgery (SLAM process).

Long story short, ask questions, read and soak up all the info you can and take to heart the process, keep at it.....IT WILL WORK.

Ok, I am back. Thank you for all your responses :)
I ordered one of the recommended sump pumps and 3/4 inch hoses and finally did the water exchange process. We let it run for 20 hours to replace more than half of our poolwater. (We had done the partial replacements twice before). After running the pump all morning I was so nervous to test it is this afternoon but - YAY - we got the CYA down to 50 :). Is that good enough for now?? All my test results: FC 4.5, pH 7.8, TA 200, CH 225, CYA 50, CSI 0.36, TEMP 70*.
I read on the SLAM process the pH should be between 7.2-7.5 - so should I start with that? What do I need to buy and how do I use it?
Oh and I found the liquid chlorine at our Home Depot. I still have 5 gallons. Should I still add 1 daily or wait until I start the SLAM process? I haven't added anything in a couple of days.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks again!!!

Reactions: Tracey R

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.