Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am about to start my closing. I want to air lock the main drain. The main drain comes from the bottom of the pool to the skimmer (only one on my old pool) and the pool is about 9 feet deep. What size compressor will I need to air lock the main drain and how much pressure should I use? Also, if anyone has any instructions/tips on how to do this I would appreciate it. I don't want to do any damage. :oops:
Thanks.

See...

Lol. I will give this a try, but if it gets tricky, I may just go ahead and blow out the line. I read this in one of the old posts mentioned above by ajw22:

"Typical 2" plumbing has a bursting pressure of 890 psi. So not really an issue for air pressure.
Glue joints, if done properly should be just as strong if not stronger than the pipe itself because of the double thickness of the pipe wall at the joint.
But all this is a bit moot because you only need 3.5 psi to clear a pipe 8 ft below water level. Bursting due to air pressure is a non-issue."

So..... looks like I shouldn't worry if I'm only using 3-4 lbs. of pressure to clear the line, right? I'm also assuming that it is not necessary to clear the entire line. If I get the water down 2-3 feet below the bottom of the skimmer there shouldn't be an issue with water freezing in that line right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.