Air leak at pool pump connection

May 17, 2016
New Orleans, LA
Hello!

I had a leak detection company come to find leaks in the pool and one of the things they noticed was an air leak where the PVC is connected to the pump. I've only recently moved into this house, but there has always been air viewable through the top of the basket cover of the pump, so I have no reference of what is "normal", but it seems like there should be no air in there when the pump is running. I have no issues running the pump, but occasionally there are bubbles in the return jets. This mostly happens whenever I have to re-prime the pump.

I'd like to attempt fixing this myself. I've attached two photos (an overview of the piping and a close up of where the air leak is). Notice on the piece that is threaded into the pump, there is writing indicating where the air leak is.

I'm looking for any advice on how to approach the repair. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to work with if I need to cut the PVC and I assume the pipe coming out of the top of the pump has a union I could unscrew to be able to move the pump around if needed.

Thanks!

close_up.jpgView attachment 73113

M,

In most cases I am not a fan of throwing glue or sealant at a leak, but in this case I am.. I see nothing but issues if you try to undo any of that plumbing because the pipes are encased in concrete. I would leave that problem alone until you have to replace the pump. :(

I would fill up the gap between the pump and the threaded adapter with silicone caulk. I would do this with the pump running in the hopes that it will suck some of the sealant into the air leak... And I would do it all the way around the pipe, not just at the top...

Of course you know that air leak has nothing to do with a pool that leaks water... Did you get that part fixed???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jimrahbe! Thanks for the reply.

Of course you know that air leak has nothing to do with a pool that leaks water... Did you get that part fixed???

They did find some leaks in the paster of the pool. I used some hardening pool putty and it seems to be holding well. I originally called them because the water level kept decreasing. I haven't had any problems since.

I would fill up the gap between the pump and the threaded adapter with silicone caulk.

This seems like a good idea. I was thinking of using some kind of plumber's putty, but silicone caulk sounds like a better idea. Thanks!

I had a leak in the exact same place last year and I had bad luck trying to fix it with the pump continually running as even though it was a pinhole leak it would suck the uncured silicone through the threads and keep leaking. I redid it with the pump on and immediately turned it off for a day to cure and then it finally worked good and held tight for several months. I did it all the way around as Jim mentioned. I had found the leak by running water over everything until the air in the pump lid went away.

This year I'm redoing all the plumbing so hopefully I get it back together with no leaks :)

...This year I'm redoing all the plumbing so hopefully I get it back together with no leaks :)

m,

When you redo your pump plumbing, use Pump Unions... they have an O-Ring between the threaded part of the union and the pump body, so that you are not relying on the threaded part to be leak free.

They look like this.... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

I use the link for the pictures, you will need to make sure you buy the right size for your pump.. 2" or 1.5"

Thanks,

Jim R.

Awesome, thanks! My goals for the replumb are:

1. Replace the broken valves with some Jandy or Pentair fancy shmancy ones. The existing valves are the basic ball valves and there was grass around the pipes so they got destroyed by the lawn guys and are permanently open.
  2. Put unions at the critical places so I can get access to the innards of the sand filter which I can't now (if it needs cleaning, repair, etc.)
  3. Make it look a little nicer.

Sorry for the threadjack :)

M,

In most cases I am not a fan of throwing glue or sealant at a leak, but in this case I am.. I see nothing but issues if you try to undo any of that plumbing because the pipes are encased in concrete. I would leave that problem alone until you have to replace the pump. :(

I would fill up the gap between the pump and the threaded adapter with silicone caulk. I would do this with the pump running in the hopes that it will suck some of the sealant into the air leak... And I would do it all the way around the pipe, not just at the top...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Any recommendation on brand / type of silicone caulk? Currently having same problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.