Air leak and valve replacement question

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
We have a lot of air in the pump basket and returns, I tried lubing up the gasket with silicone based lube. We also lubed up the o-rings and made sure they were in correctly. Skimmers are running fine, no vortex, water level is up a little higher than normal as part of my troubleshooting and that didn’t change anything either.

When it rains heavy then the air goes away completely. If I shut off the far skimmer valve then the bubbles mostly go away, when I shut off the main drain as well and just leave the other skimmer open then the bubbles disappear completely.

1. What can I replace the valves with that will fit in the tight space?
2. When replacing the valve do I need to do anything special besides shut off the pump/filter and open the air bleed? (equipment pad is higher than the level of the pool)
3. If I open the valve the air swoosh’s in, does that mean the leak could be prior to the valve or can the valves suck in air when open?
4. If the leak was underground would it suck in dirt as well? (I don’t see any)

Our next step is #1 above unless the experts here think we should start elsewhere. The pool was built in late fall of 2015 and has always had the air leak. The pool builder was told but never fixed it.

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 26
2way Jandy/Pentair never lube valves should fit in there. Are those union fittings with o-rings on one side? Try wrapping some saran wrap around the valves or fittings to isolate the leak. Also pouring water over it can also isolate it.

Here are some more tips, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

2. No, that will work.
3. Yes, it can suck air anytime.
4. Not necessarily. But, most suction air leaks are not underground.

Yes, Pentair makes one just like it for less. I've had Pentair and Jandy valves in service for more than 5 years and they're great. Check the price at Sunplay too.

Update: We tore down a retaining wall (no small task) and uncovered the line that was leaking. The leak was underground just past where the retaining wall is. The pool builder had put in flex line under the wall and it is cracked/leaking at the joint where it meets the hard line. We have pool tech who specializes in leaks coming to decide how best to re-plumb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.